R4 Extremely Jolly!

dunno.png

Owner must be even jollier with a 50k bid on it.
Obviously the seller is an expert on Renaults going by this description; "The rear-mounted 747cc air-cooled OHV inline-four features a single carburetor and sends power to the rear wheels through a three-speed manual transaxle."
Hard to spot that radiator in there ! Or am I just jealous :rolleyes:
jaahn

Passed in. Didn't meet reserve which was probably over $100K. Very neat looking machine.

Cheers

Justin

They made very few Jolly examples and they've certainly been selling for over $50K. Was it 50 made? Simon will know..... This one looks a rather stronger salmon-pink than the original colour.

There's no accounting for collectible prices - look at what Messerschmitts are worth!!

I am surprised that sellers and some restorers of the Resort specials don't really get all the details correct. For a car that might fetch over $100K, you would at least think it would have pedal covers and a working speedometer. For that price, I would expect full disclosure of everything that was not original. I got the impression it did not get close to the reserve - I guess the buyers knew what they were bidding on.

When I was selling my first 4cv in late 1975, another 4cv enthusiast contacted me and sent pictures of a resort special that he had just rescued from rotting outdoors. It was at a dealership - it appeared to be closed. I am not sure if the dealer had ever sold it or not. The dealer may have kept it as a novelty to bring in customers. It had all the papers, dealer invoice etc. I looked up the VIN last week, it just sold for $73K. I think the price was that low since it really needed new paint again. The first restoration was done in the late 70's - a long time ago now.

59 4cv RS771s.jpgRS771 5 21.jpg

I am surprised that sellers and some restorers of the Resort specials don't really get all the details correct. For a car that might fetch over $100K, you would at least think it would have pedal covers and a working speedometer. For that price, I would expect full disclosure of everything that was not original. I got the impression it did not get close to the reserve - I guess the buyers knew what they were bidding on.

When I was selling my first 4cv in late 1975, another 4cv enthusiast contacted me and sent pictures of a resort special that he had just rescued from rotting outdoors. It was at a dealership - it appeared to be closed. I am not sure if the dealer had ever sold it or not. The dealer may have kept it as a novelty to bring in customers. It had all the papers, dealer invoice etc. I looked up the VIN last week, it just sold for $73K. I think the price was that low since it really needed new paint again. The first restoration was done in the late 70's - a long time ago now.

View attachment 137051View attachment 137052
In short, YES!