R4 engine options

Reno56

Tadpole
I have just purchased a pair of early R 4s to complete my Billancourt collection.
(2 4Cvs , a D G, and. Floride)
The 63 five door is a runner with the 850 engine and 3 speed box.
The similar model Fourgennette is a big project requiring disassembly and rust removal and new metal.
It also has no motor.
I’m interested in fitting a Cleon engine and 4 speed box.
What are the best options from R 10 , 12 and 16?
I know of an R 17 engine available here in SA too.
Naturally the CW and pinion arrangement will be reversed.
Thanks JW and others in anticipation
David

Transverse Clio V6 engine only way to go
V6 Clio
v6.jpg

The simplest option is to use a Renault 5 engine and gearbox.
But it is not that simple as the front cross member would have to be modified. The radiator may have to move forward which means cutting the bonnet supports.

I have just purchased a pair of early R 4s to complete my Billancourt collection.
(2 4Cvs , a D G, and. Floride)
The 63 five door is a runner with the 850 engine and 3 speed box.
The similar model Fourgennette is a big project requiring disassembly and rust removal and new metal.
It also has no motor.
I’m interested in fitting a Cleon engine and 4 speed box.
What are the best options from R 10 , 12 and 16?
I know of an R 17 engine available here in SA too.
Naturally the CW and pinion arrangement will be reversed.
Thanks JW and others in anticipation
David
Later R4s had the 1100 Cleon and four speeds, with a higher final ratio. We followed one in France for an hour at 140 kph once. But an R10 box isn't right given the output arrangements. Others know rather more (well, much more) than I do. You'd find a box in France I imagine as they are very popular there still. Melun Retro Passion have lots of R4 stuff and enthusiasm.
Good luck with it.

If you can find one, an R5 or R6 is a good donor vehicle for a Cleon (aka Sierra) engine upgrade.
Renault basically used the same engines and gearboxes in all three models. And you can get improved running gear to go with them - front disks etc.

I’ve picked up a 1275cc R5 power plant for one of my R4 - essentially the same engine as in the R12.
Can‘t wait to get to that project...

If you can find one, an R5 or R6 is a good donor vehicle for a Cleon (aka Sierra) engine upgrade.
Renault basically used the same engines and gearboxes in all three models. And you can get improved running gear to go with them - front disks etc.

I’ve picked up a 1275cc R5 power plant for one of my R4 - essentially the same engine as in the R12.
Can‘t wait to get to that project...
There's a 1993 R4 TL in Perth, imported from dry use in Portugal. Lovely thing with a late Sierra engine as you said. What are you going to use for a transmission with it, out of interest?

Hi Andrew
I’m interested in getting both.
Can you pm me to discuss.
No idea how pm works but I’ll learn!

PM's are now called 'conversation'. Near the top right hand side of the screen will be your user name when you are logged in, envelope and a bell icon, the envelope icon is the key to 'conversation', happy learning ;)

There's a 1993 R4 TL in Perth, imported from dry use in Portugal. Lovely thing with a late Sierra engine as you said. What are you going to use for a transmission with it, out of interest?

The 4-speed box and running gear that came with the engine. I got the whole car which had almost completely gone to rust. Some portions of the suspension might come into play also. Power-boosted front disk brakes will be a nice improvement also. got to have something to handle the wicked increase in power😂😂