R25 Wheel balancing

rick_b

Fellow Frogger
R25 wheels don't fit onto standard wheel balancer :mad: (no hole in centre). How do you guys get these things balanced question Does anyone know of someone in NW Vic that can do this or is the closest in Melbourne? This must pop up all the time. :confused:

Rick,

Just a thought if you don't have any luck here, try posting on this and/or other Cit forums as it is apparently a problem that they have with 2 CVs. Never had enough to do with the tin snails to tell you exactly what the problem is, but I would imagine that anyone who has the gear to fix one quirky froggymobile should nearly have the stuff to do others or at least point you in the right direction. :D

Alan S

Check the post "Wheel Balance" posted on 16th June by Skippy.

Executive summary:

Get an "on car" balance. If you have an auto, make sure they start the engine and leave it idle whilst they balance the front wheels.

Alternatively, find a tyre dealer who can be bothered to fit the adaptor plate to their balancer.

You, need to get a stud balance done, An on vehicle balance is not a wheel balance specifically and is better used for determining if a vibration is actually coming from the driveline as opposed to the wheel/tyre. i have a tyre shop and i have a stud balance template that I use for such wheels. Wheel balancers have a shaft that you normally put the wheel onto through the hole in the centre of the wheel. This shaft is removable on most balancers and can be fitted with a stud template(usually adjustable to fit a variety of stud patterns.) The studs poke through the wheel stud holes just like on the car and you do them up with nuts(just like a car).
There will be the odd tyre shop around who has one but the staff may not know about it/how to use it/not be bothered to use it or all of the above.
Just ring around the shops until you find some one who has a "stud template for balancing centreless wheels".
Cheers

Hey Matt

Don't tell me you have the V6 back on the road?

When are you going to sell it to me?????

Luke

Matt

Depending on the condition. I have seen the car once, and if the condition is still similar, I have an offer in mind. How's the leather and paintwork going?

Have you started work on the beast yet?

I can email you an offer if you are really interested (As long as my wife agrees).

Luke

Hey Luke,

Let me get it going again, and I'll get back in touch.

Condition is same/better as before, I've spent some $$$ on repairing/replacing some trim etc.

Thanks for expressing interest :)

Hi Matt

I look foward to hearing from you. (How long are we talking?)

Do you have any digital photos of the car to wet my appetite with?

Regards

Luke

The reason the R25 doesn't shake is because Bridgestones are so round & require very little weight to start with. I've found some Michelins and Bridgestones are so uniform that you can get little or no shake on some vehicles and some wheels with no weights at all, which says a lot for their manufacturing processes.