R25 rear brakes

paulclifford

Fellow Frogger
Amazing how much heresay out there! I'm told that R25 rear brakes / hand brake are pigs to adjust & get right. (So I haven't tried yet!) Anyone have any comment? Any pitfalls to look for?
Thanks = Paul

Presumably you are talking about a rear drummed GTX and not a rear disc V6.

I've not heard any horror stories, as they are a self adjusting set-up being the type that adjusts when the car is being reversed. Theoretically they should never need physically touching apart from replacing the linings/cable breakage etc..

However the adjusters can seize from age (not too common from what I've heard, and there is also a spring kit to replace weak springs so perhaps the judicious use of anti-seize and replacement of the springs may help. Also check the handbrake cable isn't fraying or partially seized causing the brakes to bind.

Sorry to hijack yer thread, Paul. Simon, are the R12's self adjusting brakes meant to work the same? If so, what's the procedure - reverse back and jam them on, like an old Holden? Mine have always needed manual adjustment, even with new springs.

Stuey

Stuey,

Simon will no doubt have the detail, but the early ones are manual and the late ones self-adjusting as far as I know. This also precludes a need to adjust the handbrake lever.

Our 1979 Virage is self-adjusting. Has always worked well (maybe too well, as linings don't seem to last much beyond 20,000 - 30,000 km or so)

John

Thanks, John. Mine are meant to be self adjusting, it's just that they don't! I'm pretty sure they're just meant to adjust in normal driving when you apply them in reverse normally - in some cars you have to hit them quite hard when they get older. As mine have never worked, I don't know...

Stuey