R25 radiator

with the way that radiator is i'd say that a certain percentage of your cooling surface area has been lost which may account towards the car getting fairly warm

but as for the fans kicking in after 1/2 way to me sounds about right if comparing it to say the 604 we have here

it won't kick in the thermo fan till the temp is a fair way up (still away from red) but over 1/2 way
on the road though the temp will sit 1/2 way and sometimes back a little and going down hill it will actually come back a little more and then normal driving it will return to just before 1/2 or on 1/2 depending on the air temp

going up hill though it will go up a bit but then back to normal again after the hill climb

apart from a slightly modified radiator i had once in another 604 this has to be about the best i have ever seen a 604 work in the cooling department (oh and the one my mother had was pretty damn good as well but it was a new car)

see how the car goes once you are on the road but i'd keep a close eye and that radiator as i wouldn't like to be the one driving too far with one in that condition

Did you change the timing belt while the rad was out? (not required, but it makes access a little easier ;) )

Glad to hear the project is coming along. I went and saw John Masefeilds car the other day - what a beauty. I hope your car doesnt end up costing 4 grand to get perfect (mind you, it can fun fiddling with them), cos John pretty much is already. I very much doubt anyone will find a better one (though it was nice to see mine stacked up fairly well, except mine doesnt have a brand new gearbox...) All I have to do is convince my girlfriends mum that she will love it and it is better than a Camry.... I would love it myself, but 2 R25s and now 2 (possibly 3 soon) R21s is probably enough :roflmao:

MJ3 auto trans manual on the way from the US (gotta love ebay :D ) - might even scan it onto CDs. The more I learn about these things, the more I'm getting the impression that they will not be overly hard for the DIY Renault nut to fix, but we shall see.....

pugrambo, yeah I'll keep an eye on the radiator to see how it fares over time. I'm planning a few long drives in the next few months and I'd like to take the 25 so I'll be checking it out pretty comprehensively once it gets driven more often.

Haakon, no I didn't change the timing belt, although I have bought one and plan to have it fitted soon. I'm a bit reluctant to change it myself - I'm sure I can fit it OK, but I wanted to get things like the tensioner checked and adjusted correctly since I don't really know much about how they work.

John's 25 sounded really great when I was talking to him about it, shame we couldn't really afford to get it. As I said to John, part of the logic behind buying our 25 was that we would have been able to fix things up over time and spread the cost out, instead of having to pay all at once for a great 25. I'm sure his 25 will go to someone who can fully appreciate it and take care of it properly. :dance:

In the meantime, I've got to sort out our dodgy idle, why the "electronic incident" light is on, a leak coming in through the rear hatch, burnt out globes in the stereo, etc etc. Fun fun fun... :mallet:

Richard