R25 Manual gearbox conversion

I'd say getting the "foreign" auto trans to interface with the engine, in terms of kickdown/change up etc, would be even more difficult than changing from a Renault auto to a Renault manual trans at least the bits are available for that transition. A custom built computer would likely have to be created to work between the motor and new trans.

If a Renault auto trans is functioning fine in the car it is probably best left until it pops. I reckon out of a car, a Renault auto trans is worth about the same. Somewhere between nothing and not very much!

Simon

Hi

My current car has 314,638kms on the clock as we speak.
The auto is locking itself in 3rd gear (Drive), when warmed up, and this is a pain in the arse, as it takes a while to get moving when you have a slight rise with 4 people and air-con on! Not good for the engine.

Otherwise it is fine.
I am told this locking in Drive business is a solenoid? Would this be likely? I have a mate that has a 25 auto, and it is doing the same thing! His car however has had the transmission re-built!!

There is no way I would put a 3 speed, 4-speed or even a 5 speed auto in my car - I want a manual to play with!
my car has not been re-built!

Are you there Dave???
We need an answer on the driveshafts?

Thanks again all

Talk soon

Luke

Locking in third could be solenoids, or it could be computer failure (even a power failure to the computer)

Check the fuse. One way to put a R25 auto into limp home mode is to pull the fuse. That will give you Park, Reverse, Neutral and 3rd gear forwards only.

It also can indicate a failure in the computer itself (ie. the dreaded R25 dry solder joint problem!)

If you are stuck in 3rd, you will soon permanently consign the gearbox to history if you load it up from rest (esp. using the method you described!)

Thanks Europa

It does exactly what you described,k works in Neutral, Drive, Reverse and Park.

It is intermittent though, and only happens when the car has been running for a while.

I'll bet it is a computer fault!

Would a solenoid be intermittent like my problem?

Thanks

Luke

LukeCass:
Would a solenoid be intermittent like my problem?
I'd say it could well be. If you can find a dealer with an XR25 tester (or Facom equivalent) they should be able to diagnose pretty quickly.

When my computer failed, it shared similar symptoms to yours.