r19 running problem!!!!

dave from bendigo

Fellow Frogger
I have aproblem with my r19, it starts but dies almost instantly, as though it is gasping for fuel. Ocassionally it will start run for a short while and die, but this is only say 25 seconds. could it be the fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter or if there is one(Ican't find it) the fuel pump fuse. any help would be appreciated, regards Dave.

You need to do a little more diagnosing before people can help.

Will it keep running if you rev the car (idle stepper motor problems).

Stupid suggestions ... Is there petrol in the tank :confused:

Does it have spark when it dies (whip a plug lead off and watch what happens as it stops).... etc... etc...

seeya,
Shane L.

:confused:Yeah very weird. It might be an oxygen sensor. These are common things that die on the R19. @ failed on my old car that I had.....RACV I think would have no idea. When my water pump died the NRMA had no idea at all. The guy said "ive got no idea mate maybe you should call a Renault dealer". I was not impressed at all. :mad:
Try a qualified Renault engineer in Victoria Id say......:2cents:

Does Haakon still live in Bendigo ?? Maybe he would be able to diagnose this in a heartbeat :confused:

After all he'd have to be one of the resident experts on the 25's & 19's.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Does Haakon still live in Bendigo ?? Maybe he would be able to diagnose this in a heartbeat :confused:

After all he'd have to be one of the resident experts on the 25's & 19's.

seeya,
Shane L.

Nope - I escaped redneck central a while ago :D

This could be a number of things like fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, ignition coil, ECU earth, idle control unit, fuel pump etc

Start it and let it die and then keep trying to start it immediatly. Does it always fire when cranked, or only if left for a while? If its turning over and not firing and has wet plugs, fuel is getting in - dry plugs its not.

Listen to the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on but dont crank it - it should buzz for a second or 2 and stop as the ECU shuts it down via the fuel pump relay. Kill the ignition and loosen a fuel hose on the fuel rail to see if it has pressure - it should hold residual line pressure for hours at least, enough to give a little spray as you loosen the hose. This will confirm the fuel is getting to the injectors. You can put a multi meter across the injector terminals whilst cranking it (coil lead disconnected) to make sure the computer is doing its thing.

an extra plug cennected to a lead (you can start it on 3 cylinders, but dont do it with one plug out) to see if the spark is dying.

Beyond that, you are into the territory of sensor faults. They can all be tested individually with a multimeter, but you will need the manual for the specs. Does it happen more when cold or hot?

thanx for all the help guys, I think the problem is the fuel pump or the regulator, however I think that for a haynes manual it's of poor standard.

danielsydney said:
:confused:Yeah very weird. It might be an oxygen sensor. These are common things that die on the R19. @ failed on my old car that I had.....RACV I think would have no idea. When my water pump died the NRMA had no idea at all. The guy said "ive got no idea mate maybe you should call a Renault dealer". I was not impressed at all. :mad:
Try a qualified Renault engineer in Victoria Id say......:2cents:
Are you saying the NRMA guy couldn't tell you that the water pump had failed, or was it just that he couldn't actually fix it?

In my experience, with the RAA, the problem can at least be diagnosed, even if they can't fix it. So you can sort of use them as a "consulting" service, but without having to pay them for the incident. Once you know the fault, you can then fix it yourself.