R18 turbo into R17

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys,

I have the drivetrain from an R18 turbo which I have just found out is in quite good condition (good clean head, perfect liners-still got honing marks etc). I am also about to acquire an R17 for free. Hence I am (as you do head_ban ) starting to think about putting the turbo motor into the 17.

My dilemma is this- do I keep the original 17 brakes, a-arms struts etc or try and bolt all these things on from the 18.

I have checked the specs and they are nearly identical, with the R17- 8.98in and the R18- 8.976in(the brake sizes)- so no real advantage there.

The only difference I can make out is that the 18 has a twin circuit (diagonal) brake system whereas the 17 has a single one...

As much as anything I was thinking about it from the point of view that it would be easier to work on the shocks and springs on the front with the 18 strut/sping in it...

The track measurements are quite different between the two cars though....

The 17 is;
(Front track) 1.34m
(rear track)1.31m

The 18 is;
(Front track) 1.41m
(rear track) 1.35m

So that would equate to 3.5cm per side difference... on the front anyway.

If this idea does come to fruition (it depends on how rusty the 17 is!!) it will be used for a rally car- so it doesn't have to look pretty - just work well! The acutal conversion (engine/box mounts) doesn't phase me too much- as we pretty much already did this for my 17 with the fuego motor(1647cc) and NG1 (5spd box).

The only other thing is that the radiator end tanks are buggered (plastic ones).
Does anyone know if can you get aluminium ones made up? or are we talking moonbeams....
eek!

Oh, one more thing I have a std 1565cc head gasket for an 807-10. The 18 turbo one has an extra piece for a dowel that is located at the flywheel end. All I can figure is that it helps locate the gasket, it's not near any oil or water galleries, so could I get away with using this gasket?....I am not certain at this stage that I can get another 18 turbo gasket...

Cheers for any thoughts...

ps my apologies if this has been posted about before- I am pretty sure it hasn't though... Hey Ash- your loss dude- the motor turned out to be a good 'un! wink

Yea Would be sweet to put the Huffer motor in the R17, but I reckon its true what they say.
I just dont think the R17 Steering/suspension is able to cope with the odd 150/200HP that she'll proberley be putten out.
Then again if your prepared to spend a little cash upgrading it all and getting it all set up properley then sweet.

Well done with finding the R17 I cant imagine theres to many left.
Yours must be one of the best cruizing around.

Just a thought. I believe that a late model 12 Gordini/17 Gordini/17 TS master brake cylinder would suit your purposes. I think French Connection in Melbourne might be able to get the 12 Gordini item. a_drink

Hey guys,

my haynes manual doesn't list the engine outputs for the turbo model- anyone else got them? I have been told it's 92kw(120hp) which feels about right for a standard motor. I have also been told that when changed a bit from 81-82 they got more Hp disc brake rear ends- I know they got the disc brake but am interested if they got more hp..

If anyone has the specs or knows where I can find them (a website?)for the 807 turbo variant- the code on the side of the block is 807- A 7 27.

Cheers for your help.

Ben

Can someone tell me more about this Renault 18 turbo. Is it a 2.0?
I didnt know these were in Australia??

Hey Daniel,

from what other people have posted(Simon?) no, the 18 turbo wasn't ever in OZ. In NZ these cars and fuego turbos are able to be had very cheaply at the moment. wink

It's a 1565cc motor, running a Garrett T3 turbocharger. Essentially it's the same motor (block) as that found in the 15/16/17- the 807-10. However the water pump, alternator etc etc is all at the 'wrong' end of the motor (the front!) mallet

I am sure that it has various bits and pieces strengthened/improved to take the extra strain that turbocharging can put on a motor though(can anyone confirm/deny which bits?)

It runs a compression ratio of 8.6:1, and runs about 9-10 psi on the turbo standard. It also has some 'handy' features for those wishing to push the motor- a knock sensor (to retard ignition when detonation occurs- particularly important in turbo cars if you wind the boost up!), and an overboost switch that cuts the ignition when it reaches over about 14psi.

With a few (relatively cheap) mods;exhaust, more boost, bigger intercooler, they can put out quite good power without harming reliability. cheers!

Ben

Nah R18 Turbo's don't exist in Australia.
There's only one or two floating around, and they are private imports I think.

they have a 1565cc Turbo engine in them. The turbo setup runs low boost.

Not to sure on HP figures for em though.

Proberley around the 120hp mark I'd say.