R17 Door Hinge Pins

Geopug2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone replaced the door hinge pins and bushes on their R15/17? My door has dropped a little and does not line up neatly with the latch. I suspect the bushes around the pin need replacing. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket pin and bushings that are a straight fit for the 17?

Is there much adjustment at the hinge bolts as there is on some vehicles?

Geopug2. The hinges don't have bushes within the hinge body. Just the pin with circlip. I suspect that the pin and bodies have wear. From memory one half is permanent to the doors. Pins could be checked by removing the doors then the pin checked for play on each half. Maybe the pins could be swapped out using pin like the drive shafts have. Spiral pin, roll pins and the like. Quick search shows there are oversize kits out there too.

If your hinges are worn there isn't much scope for re-adjusting the door.

The latch can be adjusted too within a small range to compensate for wear in the hinge but again, you're just kicking the problem down the road.

I don't think I have ever seen anything aftermarket for this problem, but the hinges themselves can be easily refurbished to take out the wear. I would bore them out to take something like a press fit bronze/brass bush and make that a consumable item. That would extend the life of your pins virtually indefinitely and would be easy to replace when it wears out again.