R17 807 Alternator upgrade

Shoji

Renault 17 TL 1312
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have noticed that this model alt for the R17 807 has the mounting holes at 6 and 10 oclock. Pic below is the one on the right.
This one might fit but amps are a bit high. The rear bottom mount could be modded for the engine mount.
Any other suggestions?
https://www.repco.com.au/parts-service/electrical-parts-vehicle-management/alternators/bosch-alternator-12v-100a-bxh1333/p/A8775936?rgfeed=true&cid=google-shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&region_id=100495&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgK2qBhCHARIsAGACuzlKLPwcsHJ0cR1e4RH6FL_M2VV40OZZNEf3LIVZ1LRvfMpJfhNVjyUaAtNAEALw_wcB

Alternator.jpg
Ren17 Motor.jpg

Hi John

That alternator that you have shown on the left looks very similar to what I will use on my R12 Wagon project when I get to that stage.

I have a Bosch with the numbers 9 120 060 017 K1 14V 17/70 90DA 10900 BA

I think the alternator that I have came from a Mitsubishi Magna (not 100% sure) it has a built in regulator, so will have to change the wiring for the regulator as like the R17, the R12 of that era had an external regulator.

I would not be to worried about the current rating of the alternator as the electrical system will only draw what it requires and the regulator will take care of that.

As far as the physical mounting goes I think I will need to make a new mounting bracket to move the alternator more to the rear of the car so that the alternator pulley aligns with the pulley on the water pump. The bracket for the belt tension may need to be modified as the mounting point on the alternator you have alluded to is not in the same spot. A belt tension bracket from an R16 maybe the go as they are curved at the alternator end where as the R17 is straight. Anyway no doubt a man withe your skills can fabricate something that will look like it belongs there and will do the job.

thanks COL
Mount holes are the big thing on our cars with 807 and low slung bonnets for clearance.
I found that if you take off the pully's and fans off both of these in my picture (french one and Bosch), they are interchangeable providing the correct offset needed for the R17 807 water pump alignment. So hoping it will be a swap on a new one of same shaft size. Standard?
The rear bottom lug could be modded or cut off. The french one is a bracket that is fixed via casing screws. Was in lovely condition before the BBQ

00000IMG_00000_BURST20231109090702_COVER.jpg

Alternator mounting on a R17 R12 807.jpg

Last edited:
Just had another thought about the belt tension mounting on the alternator. The mounting point could be cut off and rewelded in the same place as the SEV Motorola alternator. Of course you would need to dismantle the alternator and them find someone with the skills to weld cast aluminium. I would only use this as a last resort if you find that you don't have the clearance for the bonnet to close properly.