R16 TS Drive shafts

cee5

Fellow Frogger
I've now got the 16 on historic plates . 2 days ago. All is ok but the drive shafts are knocking when driving. These are brand new in 2014 and have been wrapped up in their original packing since. Would the grease have deteriorated over time? would i be able to rejuvenate the lubrication by squirting some gear oil into the boots? Any suggestions? Also what are the thicknesses of the shims for adjusting the front wheel and steering geometry?
Thanks

What exactly do you mean that the drive shafts are knocking when driving? The symptoms of worn drive shafts are clicking noises when turning tight corners. Drive shafts usually last a very long time, they mainly fail when the drive shaft boot spit and let out the grease.

The best way I find to test drive shafts is to get hold of the shaft and the ends and twist the shaft and see if you can feel any movement, you can do this either with the drive shaft on or off the car. Check both inner and outer joint.

I have drive shafts that are 30 plus years old here and there would be nothing wrong with the joint or the grease, the part that usually fails first is the rubber boot. Age and flexing usually the cause.

The grease that is used in drive shafts is high pressure grease like molybdenum disulphide grease which is black in colour.

To answer your other question, I'm not sure what thickness the shims are.

Are the driveshafts knocking on turns or in straight ahead position.i would first check inner joints by grabbing driveshaft close to inner joint and test for up and down movement.i say this because if when driveshaft have been off gearbox the inner joints have fully extended it is possible for one or more of the large ball bearings in ther to move out of their guide ramps and end up loose in boot and creating excess radial play.the idea with r16 inner driveshaft joints is to keep them compressed in as far as possible.if the stub/hub assemblies have been let hang down when top ball joint and tie rod end disconnected while inner driveshaft joint still on gearbox then inner joint will dismantle internally.shims for caster/camber adjustment under upper and lower control arm mount points are varying thicknesses from .5mm to3mm iirc,same with steering rack mount shims for rack height adjustment (torque and brake steer pulling)…jim

Reactions: COL