R16 Register

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
VEHICLE DETAILS of interest...

Model: (1150/1151/1152/1153/1154/1156 Top number on the oval plate.)
Chassis No.
Diamond plate No.
Fabrication No: (Bottom number on the oval plate)
Engine type: (eg 697, 807, 821, 843 etc)
Engine No.
Transmission: (4 speed, 5 speed, auto
Year:
Colour:
Owner:
Status: Full registration; Historic Registration; good unregistered; restorable; parts only
Condition: Good original; restored; modified; being restored/modified; to be restored; parts car
History: (eg any special fittings or features, details of modifications, history, etc
Going Concern: Yes/No.
Email address: An contactable email address so all cars/people on the register can be circulated the list and any newsletters/parts/tool requests etc. (optional of course, can be privately shared with existing registers)

....and of course Photos!

I'll eventually turn this first post into an index with links to each car withing the thread.

David.

Last edited:
Model: R1150
Chassis No. 0905319
Fabrication No: 263 473
Engine type: 697-01
Transmission: 4 speed
Year: 1968
Colour: Red 717
Owner: Sarosa
Condition: Being restored
History: Vic Registration JZA931 was manufactured in Le Havre, France, November 1967, and imported and registered by Renault Australia in April 1968. It came with another car, a white car, registration JZA930. The two cars were used as press cars while the first Renault 16's were being built at Heidelberg. JZA931 featured in Renault Australia advertising material as well a feature article in the Age newspaper and Wheels Magazine. The car was 'found' on a farm in East Gippsland, Victoria. Last appeared registered in 1988 and sat idle since. To retore to former glory. More details later....
Email address: PM

Attachments

• JZA931 Ad.jpg
    JZA931 Ad.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 629
  • JZA931 R16 Ad.jpg
    JZA931 R16 Ad.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 635
My R16

My R16 TL is:

Model 1152
Year made: 8/1975
Colour: Avacado green
Chassis No?: 425172
Condition: excellent

:)

My R16 TL is:

Model 1152
Year made: 8/1975
Colour: Avacado green
Chassis No?: 425172
Condition: excellent

:)

Just for info, your quoted chassis number sounds more like the fabrication number on the oval plate. The fabrication number is the sequential manufacturing number of that particular model (in this case an R1152 16TL). The chassis number is located on the diamond shaped plate located adjacent to the oval plate. In your case it will likely commence as follows 95461xx

My latests purchase, 1976 model TS, One owner that was originally used for spare parts by Renault Australia then put back together and sold "New" at a later date. Will add more info when it arrives home!.

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 678
My latests purchase, 1976 model TS, One owner that was originally used for spare parts by Renault Australia then put back together and sold "New" at a later date. Will add more info when it arrives home!.
Looks very promissing from the small pictures! Show us some more? Regards geert

would love to see any photos of the original car and its decals!

Has anyone done anything about the celebration of the first R16? I recall we were 'gunna' do something.

Alastair

g'day youse mob, first post here from boleropilot

have had many 16s earlier in life but sadly never ended up keeping one - looking for a nice one right now

one point I would like to mention is to ask if anyone knows anything about a TX (5 speed) that was owned by one of the pilots at Oakey, back in the '70s - if I remember right it was dark metallic blue?

btw, I used to hillclimb a TS at the now defunct Echo Valley track in Toowoomba - always won my class, fastest time 52.62 seconds

cheers for now

bp

Hi there. I'm a new member as I've just scored an R16 from a paddock. It actually seems not to bad in the body and the motor runs. I'll get someone who knows more than me to have a look over it and see if it's roadworthy-able, and perhaps get on club plates.
Anyway, the details are:
R1150
Fab. No: 463230
Diamond Plate: 1120430
Barossa Red
4 Speed Man.

Where do I find the engine number?

Thanks, Tom

Hi there. I'm a new member as I've just scored an R16 from a paddock. It actually seems not to bad in the body and the motor runs. I'll get someone who knows more than me to have a look over it and see if it's roadworthy-able, and perhaps get on club plates.
Anyway, the details are:
R1150
Fab. No: 463230
Diamond Plate: 1120430
Barossa Red
4 Speed Man.

Where do I find the engine number?

Thanks, Tom

The engine number is on the block and should be underneath the engine type which is 697-01.

This was the 1470cc non-crossflow engine that I loved in my 1969 R16. Smooth as silk 40 KW!

Thanks for the info. Here are some pics.

FullSizeRender-1.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-3.jpgFullSizeRender-6.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 472
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 448
g'day Tom, nice looking 16, body looks pretty good but upholstery a bit rough...better than t'other way round hey
looks like we've both got our "barn find' 16s home - and now the fun starts
pls keep in touch, we can swap contact ideas for parts etc. and maybe some day our 16s will park alongside each other at a Renault event
it will be interesting to see how the red colour comes up with a cut and polish - hopefully it will look vunderbar...
cheers
BP

g'day Alastair - so sad you didn't get a response to your suggestion for a 16 celebration - just goes to show you how rare they are !!!!
m8, I am a 16 fan, had many of them in my earlier years, hill-climbed one (dirt track in the '70's) and have just bought my barn find on the eve of my retirement (the latter only 5 hours ago)
the 'muster' idea is one I am keen on and I am happy to get involved in helping to organise that in the near future - hopefully my 16 will be on the road within a month or so
cheers for now
BP

Hi BP, I think the paint might be beyond help on mine. It's coming off in flakes in some patches. I assume it's had a bad respray at some stage. I haven't spotted any real rust yet, which has me hopeful. Engine bay and door frames etc all look good. Bit in the bottom of doors and hatch as you'd expect. I haven't been underneath the car for a look though. Will definitely stay in touch as you mentioned.
Thanks, Tom

g'day, just a quick note to let ya's know there is a great article on the R16 in the August edition of Octane magazine - 5 pages!
cheers
BP

still on/off Rob's trailer for various reasons - waiting for bonnet and front left mudguard to get back from the panelbeaters - the damage you see to the one in this pic is what I did to it taking it off the trailer at home - nearly cried, I did...
waiting for invoice from o/s for a radiator mount, getting close to final set-up for registration
bought (not really) a nice 10 recently, will post details and pix elsewhere on the forum

16ontrailer.jpg

cheers
BP
16ontrailer.jpg