R12 wagon rear brakes

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

Are the rear auto adjusting brakes on R12 wagons unreliable? Mine have never worked, despite new spring sets and checking the clearances as per the manual. Any suggestions? Does anyone know of a modification so that they can be adjusted from outside? I drilled and plugged the backplates hoping to do it with a scredriver or something, but it's too fiddly.

Cheers

Stuey

Stuey,

We have a 1979 Virage Wagon. Never had a rear brake problem in about 8 years. You could speak to Ian Samson (now at RACWA tech. enquiries and ask him.

JohnW

Originally posted by Stuey:
<STRONG>Hi all,

Are the rear auto adjusting brakes on R12 wagons unreliable? Mine have never worked, despite new spring sets and checking the clearances as per the manual. Any suggestions? Does anyone know of a modification so that they can be adjusted from outside? I drilled and plugged the backplates hoping to do it with a scredriver or something, but it's too fiddly.

Cheers

Stuey</STRONG>

Thanks John. I know Ian from his Euromotive days. When you say you've never had a problem, do you mean you don't adjust the brakes between shoe replacements?

Thanks

Stuey

Stuey,

I remember Ian doing something to them about 7 years back. They're never touched. I don't think I remember new shoes for about 6 years and 30,000 km. No adjustment of anything needed in that time. He'd even remember the car - tell him it is the Virage wagon that he didn't want the previous owner to paint a deeper green!

JohnW

Originally posted by Stuey:
<STRONG>Thanks John. I know Ian from his Euromotive days. When you say you've never had a problem, do you mean you don't adjust the brakes between shoe replacements?

Thanks

Stuey</STRONG>