R12 valve guides

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi again...

Phew! My late neglect of the old girl is coming back to bite me! The jobs are piling up. And I'm not talking about the ones in my son's nappy.

I mentioned the R12 blowing smoke on start up, particularly hot, a while back, and the concensus was that it was valve guides. It's really bad now...Just contemplating doing it/getting it done. Looking at the manual, it suggests that you replace the valves as well. Is this necessary? Does the guide wear more quickly than the valve - i'd assume so as the valve would be harder.

Next question...the manual shows two repair OVERSIZES (ie. standard 11.00mm - 1st repair size - 11.10mm). Why's this - do they come loose in the head, hence the bigger ouer diameter?

Will it be OK to just get the guides reamed to size for the old valves, assuming they're ok otherwise?

Any comments on repair options would me most appreciated - the rest of the engine was o'hauled about 40K ago and is great. Except for the sump leak :mad:

Cheers

Stuey

Most likely to be guides but cant really say until you pull it down and measure,you wouldnt need to replace the valves unless they are also worn sump leak is strange it isnt coming from above is it ????

Nahh, sump leak is mainly at rear main, but is not the seal, I checked that when I did the clutch. I figured maybe the guides were creating quite a bit of crankcase pressure and forcing the oil out - is this a reasonable assumption?

If the valves ARE worn, though, can you get the guides reamed to their diameter, or do you definitely need new valves?

It's just that I also need a $500 Manfrotto camera tripod this month...

Cheers

Stuoily