R12 rear brakes

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi,

Just a quickie - I noticed my back wheel cylinders are leaking slightly (has come out of the dust seal yet, so no real hurry).

Anyway, the rear cylinder cups for the pistons are 7/8" (PBR). They are fractions of a millimetre off the exact metric size (from memory 20.6mm). Anyone know if this is OK? I'm pretty sure I got them from Caravelle a while back as the proper parts, but didn't look to closely thru the bag. (ahhhh..another job)

Stuey

Stuey,

Bloody drum brakes. In my experience, the mongrels leak if they're left alone unused for a bit too long. I gave up a while back on putting those dinky little seals back into these animals. I rekon its easier in the long run to just put in a complete new cylinder assembly - particularly if they are iron. The same comments go for master cylinders.

Before you put em in, pull them to bits and use a bit of rubber grease.

Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Actually, I normally do use new cylinders, but I put these cylinders in (new) myself a while back, and as I change the fluid yearly, I'm pretty sure they'll be corrosion free. Yeah, I've got a big tube of rubber grease..

Cheers

Stuey