R12 1.4 manifold gasket

Does anyone know of a good source of manifold gaskets for the 1397 R12 motors? (I gather Ken is out of them.) Alternatively, if someone has a bunch sitting in a cupboard & willing to sell one to me, then I'd appreciate that.

cheers! Peter
Will have a look can you post a pic, I have some new old stock parts from local dealer when closed many years ago

This is what I have, 7 of actually

Attachments

• 003FC461-D230-4DDC-8E29-6A80728C4652.jpeg
    003FC461-D230-4DDC-8E29-6A80728C4652.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 124
Look like R8 1100 / R10 gaskets to me.

The R12 ones had 8 ports (not6) & the most distinctive feature is a not-quite-separated "figure 8" style pair of central circular ports. I gather that the R10 ones fit & would be un-noticeably inferior for a standard R12 engine but my engine is modified & I'd rather avoid the gas flow fights inherent in the R10 design.
At this stage, I'm about to give up on local sourcing (Auto Surplus has none;Alpine Affaire is effects of Ken, who has none; French Connection only has R10 ones, like you, & Auto Paris hasn't reconnected following an initial phone conversation with Paul - grr!).

JYL, expect an email soonish.

cheers! Peter

Look like R8 1100 / R10 gaskets to me.

The R12 ones had 8 ports (not6) & the most distinctive feature is a not-quite-separated "figure 8" style pair of central circular ports. I gather that the R10 ones fit & would be un-noticeably inferior for a standard R12 engine but my engine is modified & I'd rather avoid the gas flow fights inherent in the R10 design.
At this stage, I'm about to give up on local sourcing (Auto Surplus has none;Alpine Affaire is effects of Ken, who has none; French Connection only has R10 ones, like you, & Auto Paris hasn't reconnected following an initial phone conversation with Paul - grr!).

JYL, expect an email soonish.

cheers! Peter
in the parts book there are 3 types shown, all very similar, all have the same holes but some have a figure 8 around the inner edge but do not make separate holes of the 4 sections. I have a 1.4 renault 1977 model. have had the head off few years ago but cant remember the gasket. the parts book covers the r12 models. The only number is on the sticker in the centre of one of the pics but isnt a renault number

Material is readily available so if you have a reasonable pattern or spare head it is very ez & inexpensive to have gaskets waterjetted perfectly.

Did this on my R16 engine. Get a couple of spares.

I reckon that gasket would probably seal with the 12 (810, 842) solex or weber manifold standard, but if you have changed that a curvey one, below.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Received the 1397cc gasket for the Traffic -R18 - Fuego 847 type engnes and Volvo B14 engines
There are not many differences except the shape of the ports
above is the 1289cc gasket, below the 1397cc one

Attachments

• 2021-09-23_215931.png
    2021-09-23_215931.png
    792.8 KB · Views: 97
Hmm!

The 1397 one looks like it has the separated ports of the R9/R11 engine rather than the almost-separated ports of the R12 1289/1397 one. Won't line up with R12 ports in the head.

The 1289 one has the totally merged port arrangement of the 1108 engines. Sub optimal.

Hmm!

The 1397 one looks like it has the separated ports of the R9/R11 engine rather than the almost-separated ports of the R12 1289/1397 one. Won't line up with R12 ports in the head.

The 1289 one has the totally merged port arrangement of the 1108 engines. Sub optimal.
I must go and have a closer look at my R10 1300 engine!

Hang on, aren't both those gaskets are showing the 810-* style, Reno 10/12 inlet port arrangement (nearly firgure 8) its just the exhaust port/ports that are showing a difference.

Both those gaskets will work with a R12 engine, bigger nearly figure 8 for the 1397 donk's

For what it's worth, This is what mecca sell for the V85 A110, (12 engine)

https://www.mecaparts.com/en/product/manifold-gasket-3/

Last edited:
To Bowie: I think that you're right. I was thinking that the inlet ports werre separate on the 9/11 & viewed the pics through that lens.

While you guys have been busy on the keyboard since Drivens post on August 11 and Ringers post back on August 21, I have used a Stanley knife and Dremel to make templates then cut one spare gasket set for a V6 engine and two sets of R12 inlet/exhaust gaskets for the Alconi. I have used universal gasket material to make my own exhaust/inlet gaskets on various race and street engines for Chev, Ford, BMW, Porsche and Renault for about 30 years.

Off the shelf gaskets for inlet and exhaust on those engines with unique inlet and exhaust ports do not exist so I have to make my own. Usually takes about an hour on each cylinder head.

They are cheaper and last longer than off the shelf gaskets too !

I've made manifold gaskets for 12 engines easy enough. I used the old one as the pattern. Even in our small country town local tractor dealer had blank gasket material and from what I remember it was cheap.

This is what I have, 7 of actually
Hmm! my advice is that these are R8/R10 ones.

As for making them up, my guy did this & it blew at the 2&3 exhaust port area. He opined that the original would seal better; hence my hunt.

All I can say is find another guy, if you make your own in the correct material, it does not blow out, assuming of course that the surfaces are both flat and the manifold is not warped.

The correct material has a thin layer of fine steel mesh between the "cardboard" looking layers. The plastic outer cover label says Exhaust Gasket Material.