R10 Steering Lock

BogMaster

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've recently rescued an R10 from a paddock...it runs...but the bloody ingnition lock has now frozen solid and the steering lock has been engaged.

No amount of jiggling or WD40 will get the key to move again.

Well Fellow Frogs...what is the best approach to getting the ignition lock off the bloody thing so I can replace it with a spare?

I thought I'd just ask before I attack it with an electric drill and a cold chisel.

I have become desperate enough to do the above and consider replacing the original with something more reliable, like the steering column bracket and ignition switch from a Lada Samara. (believe me, it will work)

Use the drill!!!

You can use a secondhand one or buy a new one from Mecaparts in France. My R8 is 37 years old and it's just beginning to feel a bit nasty so I've ordered a new one. My 4CV is 50 years old and original. They are pretty reliable but not perfect. As far as I know the key (sorry about that) is to keep it lubricated (e.g. graphite) and don't hang heavy key strings from the ignition key.

Bad luck that it is locked.

John

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BogMaster:
I've recently rescued an R10 from a paddock...it runs...but the bloody ingnition lock has now frozen solid and the steering lock has been engaged.

No amount of jiggling or WD40 will get the key to move again.

Well Fellow Frogs...what is the best approach to getting the ignition lock off the bloody thing so I can replace it with a spare?

I thought I'd just ask before I attack it with an electric drill and a cold chisel.

I have become desperate enough to do the above and consider replacing the original with something more reliable, like the steering column bracket and ignition switch from a Lada Samara. (believe me, it will work)

Hey, John! Didn't know you could still order new R8's ! I'll be in that ! Put me down for one...
biggrin.gif

Stuey

Thanks for the advice guys. The problem has resolved itself. Another pair of hands lots more WD40 and some new colorful French phrases and the thing unlocked. Now to remove
and replace it!

Earlier in the week I had the opportunity to talk to a young person fresh from court on a car stealing wrap...the advice being to stick a suitably sized screwdriver down the ignition lock and "pop" the lock, then use the screwdriver handle to turn the ignition....it obviously works on some cars.

Anyway thanks for the advice dudes

Stuey - if only, if only.........

My new Mecaparts ignition lock has arrived and the tongue is laminated steel not brass, so drilling newer ones out will be more challenging. Not that I've ever had to.

Cheers

John