R10 Front Panel

Leigh Wilson

Fellow Frogger
Woe is me! Hit kangaroo in a suburban street in Tamworth at about 8.30 pm. I was only doing about 40 k's at the time. He came out diagonally towards me and was doing about 80 k's. He ran straight into the front of us. About six foot tall and my son said I used the 'f' word on impact.Must have been spooked by a dog while feeding in someone's backyard.

He hit at the front edge of the bonnet. It's a write off. The front panel (with headlights) was pushed in about 18". It is very distorted.

Does anyone know how simple/difficult it is to remove and replace that panel? Has anyone ever done it? If so, I'd really appreciate your advice. Any innovative ideas other than a very big tin of 'gorilla snot'? (metal reinforced bog as I'm told it is called).

P.S. Thought the 'roo was dead, dragged him onto the footpath, out of the pool of blood. An hour later my wife passed that area and it was gone! Tough buggers aren't they?

Not that easy I'm afraid. You have to undo the spot welds on the seam and this is harder on the 10 than the 8, cause it moves around abit (for the battery box etc). Other option is to use an air saw or chisel at an appropriate point on both cars then weld the panel onto you car and not necessarily unpick the seam.

From memory 18 inches back would be behind the seam anyway - its almost new shell time!

One of my friends recently cut the front end of a 10 that I had and was stripping. If you have no luck with dave C, he may be willing to sell it.

G'day Leigh, Shame to see a 10 end this way.
We would have everything you need to fix it, all second hand and all cheap. Changing the front panel is quite easy and simple, but then I've done quite a few of them, it is a job you could do at home but unless your confident with cutting and grinding equipment I sugest you seek out an expert. If the rest of the car is in good nic I wouldn't let a kangaroo kill it.
E-mail me with a list of parts and I'll see what I can find.

David.

Hi Leigh,
Sorry to hear of this tale. A week or three earlier, and there would have been that 10S body to cannabilise further!

Hope you are able to repair and get back on the road - don't forget the horde of R10's out on the farm. Alan W can probably give you the details.

Cheers,
Kim.