Quick question...re CX motor..

George 1/8th

1000+ Posts
Hi guys....I have a quick question re a CX.
I was recently offered a CX which has probably had a timing chain catastrophy. The motor was apparently Over-revved , the motor then cut out, and the thing died with a rattle. :cry:
My question is, if the cam chain broke...then as these engines are high compression...is it highly likely that the pistons would have damaged the valves?
Or..is it possible that there is no valve damage, and just a chain re-fit / re timing would fix it? :rolleyes:
I know the only way to know for sure is to take off the head...after checking the condition of the timing chain.
Maybe someone knows for sure that the tolerances are such that if the chain snapped, then the damage would be pretty major.
Just wondering....
Cheers..G :cheers: :cool: eorge 1/8th.

I've never heard of a chain being worn let alone replaced. I find it highly unlikely the chain will have broken.

I've got lots of CX2200 motors here... All run well, your welcome to have one ...

Seriously, just put a known good motor in it if it has no compression. It's much cheaper than gasket sets, head gasket... Once the tops off you'll feel obligated to fit new rings ... and while I'm here I'd be stupid not to change the bearings .... and so on....

There motors really are extremely hardy, I find it highly unlikely the motor will have mechanical damage (unless it was run under no load wide open throttle conditions until it destroyed itself).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I've never heard of a chain being worn let alone replaced. I find it highly unlikely the chain will have broken.

I've got lots of CX2200 motors here... All run well, your welcome to have one ...

Seriously, just put a known good motor in it if it has no compression. It's much cheaper than gasket sets, head gasket... Once the tops off you'll feel obligated to fit new rings ... and while I'm here I'd be stupid not to change the bearings .... and so on....

There motors really are extremely hardy, I find it highly unlikely the motor will have mechanical damage (unless it was run under no load wide open throttle conditions until it destroyed itself).

seeya,
Shane L.
Thanks for your quick reply Shane, that's magic. The bloke who said this knew nothing , was just describing the breakdown. it could be a wire off the low tension side of the dizzy or something.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cheers: :cool: .

buy the sounds of the way it stop i think you might have done a big end bearing easyest way to find out if u have is just drain the oil if theres metal in it theres your problem. :cheers: :roflmao: :confused:

I don't know how anyone would/could overev a CX motor.
They're an asthmatic bloody thing at the best of times that struggles to get up into the high 5Ks and is busting it's gut trying to swing that bloody ten ton flywheel around at the time whilst dragging 1370 kgs plus load and passengers along.
My best bet would be that he may have heard some valve bounce and/or the distributor drive shaft might have spat the pin, although that is usually followed by a string of irregular backfires that would put the fear of God into an agnostic! :eek: :eek:

Alan S :cheers:

George 1/8th said:
...then as these engines are high compression...is it highly likely that the pistons would have damaged the valves?Cheers..G :cheers: :cool: eorge 1/8th.
If it's the smaller 2000, or 2200 engine, I have no figures for those, but the 2400/2500 motors couldn't be described as high compression, I'm lead to believe they only run s 6¾-1 or similar. Also, as it's a push rod engine, my guess would be the rods would bend before valves and pistons get damaged john s
(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off the mark here)

smiffy1071 said:
If it's the smaller 2000, or 2200 engine, I have no figures for those, but the 2400/2500 motors couldn't be described as high compression, I'm lead to believe they only run s 6¾-1 or similar. Also, as it's a push rod engine, my guess would be the rods would bend before valves and pistons get damaged john s
(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off the mark here)

Thanks everyone for your replies...I'm still debating if it's worth persuing this one.. ..the council bloke now says it'll be $220.00 bux to collect it...at first he said $100.00. :nownow:
I might come at that...plus trailer hire...plus time etc and about 60klms travel now to retrieve it...but for $220.00 for something I don't really need...forget it.
What appealed to me was that the car has had only 2 owners from new...and it's been garaged for most of it's life till 18 months ago...even the steering wheel is in good condition.
I might argue with him again this week.
This one has the swivel map light in the roof, and new looking headlining...like a new car.
Cheers...George. :cheers: :cool:

Ask him one simple question; Is it fuel injected?

If he says, yes, quickly and quietly slip it onto a trailer and get ta hell outta there!!
That model you describe is a late 80 onwards and may even be a GTi 2.4 of which a few were brought in here a couple for a Round AustraliaRally. (Mobil?)
If it's one of those I say grab it; even so if it's late model and not too bad, still got to be a goer at the money as I would imagine there's a better than even chance it may also be a 5 speed manual.

Alan S

Alan S said:
Ask him one simple question; Is it fuel injected?

If he says, yes, quickly and quietly slip it onto a trailer and get ta hell outta there!!
That model you describe is a late 80 onwards and may even be a GTi 2.4 of which a few were brought in here a couple for a Round AustraliaRally. (Mobil?)
If it's one of those I say grab it; even so if it's late model and not too bad, still got to be a goer at the money as I would imagine there's a better than even chance it may also be a 5 speed manual.

Alan S

Hi Alan,

we only got CX2500 GTi didn't we... There was a handful (possibly less than 20) CX 2400 GT .... no 'i' there though. Just find out if it's got a 5spd gearbox.

Seriously if this car has good interior GO GET IT !!!!! You'll pay more than your quoting for just a good steering wheel.

seeya,
Shane L.

I've seen 3 GT models that were fuel injected so I'd presume they were GTis.
There was the batch imported for the Mobil Rally that never turned a wheel in competition I understand as well as a few others which were also imported and one of those was in Airlie bBeach last I heard many moons ago; it was an orange coloured one.
None came with c-matic and even the manuals that were brought in around 1980/81 were 5 speeders and I understand from the ex Dealer I bought my silver and black car from, that only 35 of them were brought in too.
Tom Stoddart at Palm Beach down the Gold Coast who was the original owner of my silver 5 speeder also had a genuinely imported and complianced Turbo of the same era and last I heard of that car it was for sale by someone down Brunswick Heads but seems to have dropped off the radar about 1990 That was an irredescent blue car and yes it was a 2400 and it was definitely a Kosher series one.

Alan S

A 2400 turbo? Are you sure? I never heard of a 2400 car getting a blower!Citroen did produce a series 1 turbo, in 1984.
The first right hand drive car was B386 EBL, and is a 2500cc car now owned by Nigel Wilde of leeds, england. (he also owns a genuine james bond 2cv)
The series 1 production only leasted a few months, being superceeded by the series 2, in july 1985.
As for the 2400 cars, I didn't even know they did a GT, we certainly never got them here, only the 2400 GTi.
john s