Questions re 504 Familiale Wagon...

WinLam

Tadpole
Hi,

I’m considering buying one of these but wondering if someone can help me please with these questions:

1) What is the braked towing limit of the Australian version? (unbraked too please if you happen to know it)
2) I believe 604 parts can be used to convert these cars to power steering. Correct? Parts availability? Degree of difficulty and ballpark costs?
3) What’s involved in adapting them to run well on unleaded fuel with no “issues”?
4) I believe the manual can be converted to run a 5 speed? Best to use a Peugeot gearbox (day 505?) or maybe something like a Celica? Logistics and ballpark costs?
5) Can the (optional) aircon be upgraded to operate efficiently using current eco friendly gas? Ballpark cost?
6) Anyone know of a very good Familiale example for sale? (Or maybe a good late 505?)

Many thanks if you can help me with these queries.

Cheers,
Winlam

2. use 505 parts. besides all the steering system itself you'll need also the crossmember, crankshaft pulley, timing belt cover and rocker cover.

I agree.....you have to be an absolute enthusiast with a streak of masochism to be doing all that work on a 504. Parts are getting harder and harder to get. I'm even going to sell my 505 soon....

I did this conversion a few years ago on my 504 cab and had to change the crossmember tierod ends etc and steering columb and move the alternator 'which you wouldn't have to do ' Also the exhaust pipe had to be re routed around the thicker columb . I got all parts from PUGWRECK . Well wourth it in the end

I did this conversion a few years ago on my 504 cab and had to change the crossmember tierod ends etc and steering columb and move the alternator 'which you wouldn't have to do ' Also the exhaust pipe had to be re routed around the thicker columb . I got all parts from PUGWRECK . Well wourth it in the end
what's the alternator has to do with that?

To make room for the power steering pump, alternator is underneath on a fuel injected car.
I have standard steering on my 504 wagon, feather light after fitting new tyres. I towed a 405 on a trailer from Melbourne to Mt Gambier and back over the weekend. Had to use 3rd on some hills and 2nd on another couple of steep ones but cruised on the flat at 100km/h and was stable. Engine (XN1 square port) a lot more willing than the Douvrin in the 505.
Not so good on poor surfaces though with some pitching, maybe new rear shocks would improve this?

what's the alternator has to do with that?