Puzzling Problems with my Peugeot 406

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

My May 1999 406 HDi (very early D9) is displaying interesting behaviour from the cooling system, I think.

Upon startup from dead cold, the dashboard temperature gauge instantly jumps to read 100℃, and the electric fans start running at full speed.

There seems to be only one temperature sensor in the cooling system, IMG_0036.jpg and disconnecting that doesn't alter the behaviour.

Are there any other temperature sensors which I've missed? If so, please provide photographic evidence of their location!

Some months ago, I boasted that when the water in diesel warning light came on, I had to do nothing but clean the terminals and all was fixed. Sadly, the problem has recurred and my simple fix isn't working this time.

The Peugeot parts book indicates that my VIN doesn't have such a sensor, but I clearly have one, so, other than a dealer, where do people suggest that I might be able to purchase this sensor?

I have tried European Auto Imports, Parts of France (Ken Bailey), French Car Connection (Dave/Chris Cavanagh) and an aftermarket spare parts place in the UK I've used many times and have never until now let me down, Neat Car Parts.

Pictures of mine, with the filter housing and some close-ups to hopefully read the writing on the parts, are attached.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

And lastly, I'm most interested if anyone can tell me what these two things are, please!

Mounted near the top radiator hose: (my guess is something to do with the air conditioning, but I don't know)
IMG_0038.jpg

This is mounted near the right-hand mudguard, just behind the upper radiator crossmember.
IMG_0039.jpg

Thanks, as always.
Andrew

You need a coolant temp sensor I will get you part numbers in a sec

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

The last sensor is a coolant level they always fail most are unplugged

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

1338 A7 coolant temp if screw in
1913 16 water in diesel sensor
I need a vin to be 100%

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

You’re 2nd last pic in cant see

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

the thing in the top radiator hose is not a radiator hose its the boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold and the sensor is the boost pressure sensor

the thing in the top radiator hose is not a radiator hose its the boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold and the sensor is the boost pressure sensor
Thanks, Balki. It's made by Denso. I didn't know that they did intercooler stuff.

191309 is the sensor it looks like your fuel filter might have been swapped at some stage
1338a7 is the coolant temp sensor just confirm yours screws in
Yes the last picture is the level sensor and as balki said that’s a boost sensor in that area.
These aren’t expensive why not a dealer they are not all out to screw you.
Just make sure your coolant temp sensor is a screw type maybe your car had an engine swap if you haven’t had it from new a few things don’t line up but the 406 cat is almost 20 years old now so things don’t always make sense.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

191309 is the sensor it looks like your fuel filter might have been swapped at some stage.
I'm just confirming that you mean the water in fuel sensor - yes?
1338a7 is the coolant temp sensor just confirm yours screws in.
Is that the green one hanging off the block?
Yes, the last picture is the level sensor and as Balki said that’s a boost sensor in that area.
How does it sense/measure the coolant level there?
These aren’t expensive why not a dealer they are not all out to screw you.
I didn't say that they were expensive or that anyone was trying to screw me. At last enquiry, there weren't any in the country, and it is a minimun two week wait. That's why I asked about where else to purchase. Don't assume the worst of me, please.
Just make sure your coolant temp sensor is a screw type maybe your car had an engine swap if you haven’t had it from new a few things don’t line up but the 406 cat is almost 20 years old now so things don’t always make sense.
I haven't owned it since new. Only the last 300,000 kms. And yes, Balki supplied an engine swap about 5 or 6 years ago when the original engine would just cut out at random and refuse to start until it was ready. (That might have been an hour, or the next week!)

Thanks again.

Yes water it diesel sensor
Yes the green one
It measures the resistance of the coolant in the over flow bottle
The miss match in parts might be due to that engine I would let any parts guys let that know in future

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Yes water it diesel sensor
Yes the green one
It measures the resistance of the coolant in the over flow bottle
The miss match in parts might be due to that engine I would let any parts guys let that know in future
I will try and remember to do that in the future. Until you mentioned the possibility of an engine swap, I had completely forgotten about it.

Thank you so much for all of your help this evening, dmccurtayne.

Cheers,
Andrew

191309 is the sensor it looks like your fuel filter might have been swapped at some stage...

I had the same problem with my 306 having the wrong sensor listed in service box.
I think it my be an error with that engine specifically.
Looking at the picture, I believe you are correct with the 191309 number. 191316 has a different thread and won't fit.

I have the same problem. I just ignore the warning lights because I know the coolant level is correct and that there is no water in the fuel. Extensive searching on the interwebby failed to turn up either of these sensors, so it all went in the too hard basket. I will try the coolant level sensor disconnect trick, thanks DMC. Didn't work with the water in fuel sensor.

Can't you get the new engine number off the block and chase parts that way?

Even better if you had the VIN number of the car the engine came out of.

Is it possible to "reconstruct" that VIN using the "new" engine number? That might help dealers with locating the correct parts for your engine.

It’s a shame but factory won’t do that. I enquired years ago about changing the key codes when bsi’s are swapped and they didn’t want to know I guess it keeps everything secure

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

I am not sure what you're saying. I am just suggesting that since the engine was changed the VIN of the original car is irrelevant as far as engine parts are concerned hence the new engine number should be used. If you can find out where in the production timeline this engine was built and how that correlates to the VINs issued during that time, you may be able to "make up" a new VIN for your car that would reflect the engine it now has and use that for part ordering.

I had the same problem with my 205GTI, which for some reason has fallen off the records of the dealer who sold it, so I had to come up with a VIN their computer system would recognise, otherwise they would just tell me, no, we don't have any info on that VIN.

Yes I understand they chop and change so much you are better off using the dam number or vin of the original engine donor the engine number doesn’t mean much like it did pre 405 sometimes you just need a parts guy that knows the cars.
I meant being able to update the vin specifications on service box through some sort of form. ( at dealer level) Things like all the bsi swaps happening are going to cause a mine field In the future when people want keys coded etc

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

I just ignore the warning lights because I know the coolant level is correct
I wouldn't be brave enough to do that! What happens when, one day, there isn't enough coolant?
I have had that happen in my 604 with 2.3 litre turbo diesel engine. It was not a cheap repair. And I had someone put in a low coolant level alarm after that experience.

Can't you get the new engine number off the block and chase parts that way?
Yes, that's what I will have to do from now on.

Even better if you had the VIN number of the car the engine came out of.
At the time, I didn't even think of asking for it. I would be extremely surprised if the car was still around, uncrushed. I don't know if records are required to be kept for a certain period of time, and what that time may be in different states in this colony. But it can't hurt me to ask, which I will do on Monday morning. Unless, of course, the seller of the engine is reading this thread and recognises the request!

Thanks for the suggestions.