Pug 605 V6 SV Trans - No Drive - Need help/ suggestions!

gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Dad's 605 today "failed to proceed" & had to be towed home.
At the time it was under no load - normal driving by mum, when it lost drive.
The Transmission is ZF 4 speed automatic model 4H18, 2GZ 1B.

Preliminary tests as advised by his local transmission repairer, showed there was pressure at the cooler & there was no metal in the transmission fluid (or anything else).
The transmission has been fine since he's owned it, which is about 6 months & he hasn't changed the oil recently as it had been done before he bought it.

Some of the symptoms:
  • No drive (nothing at all)
  • Setting in park does still lock the wheels
  • There is less load (sounding) on the engine when in gear (any) than when in neutral

Dad is not particularly internet savvy so he rang me sounding very frustrated at the task ahead of having to remove the transmission. This sounds very daunting esp w/out a manual
frown.gif

What I'm asking here is if anyone has any idea of what the problem may be & if they may have the transmission removal procedure for either the 605 V6 or the XM 4 speed auto they could send to me so I can forward onto him.

gibgib,

Neither being an expert in auto transmissions nor a fan thereof, but by the same token owning/driving a c-matic, I try to let common sense rule any suggestions.
To me I would be expecting bad news from the torque converter region.
Anybody got any better suggestions??

Alan S

Dad is thinking a spline or oil seal somewhere internally letting the pressure run elsewhere.
Either way it has to come out
frown.gif