Pug 407 2 Hdi RHR overheating

dcc236

Fellow Frogger
While driving on Ann St on Friday, my 407 overheated and I got a STOP alarm, coolant temp too high. It was at max on the gauge. Coolant was flushed and refreshed about a year ago.

I got the car towed home, here are my OBD2 error messages:

P1351
P0495
P0401

Have I blown my head gasket?

Dave, I wouldn't think so.

The radiator cooling fan is probably not working as per P0495.

We had something similar with the C5 at Southbank sitting in stop start traffic. Let it cool down and drove it to the Sunny Coast with no fan running.

Fan motor was burnt out.

Replaced with 14" Suoercheap off the shelf item.

Check your low speed and high speed fan operates. Turn AC on if no fan.....fan is not getting signal to turn on.

Resistor coil if they have one or fan motor itself.

Unplug the fan ( remove bumper) and connect directly to 12v that will let you know if fan ok or dead.

Other code for pre heater is standard and can be ignored.

P0401 something to do with EGR

Post an update

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

dcc236, did you actually check that the coolant was actually very hot? Is a faulty temperature sensor another possibility?

Cheers

Alec

Thanks guys. I was in stop start traffic. Coolant level was fine and yes it was hot. I will test the fans today. Any idea where I'd find the fan controller?

Not sure on a 407.

When you remove the bumper look out for a covered section on the right hand side of the radiator with a couple of relays and resistors for low snd high fans.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

PSA in their wisdom changed over from relay controlled fan speed to a CAN bus fan controller mounted on the fan. When the brushes wear down on the fan, the controller usually gets fried so you have to replace the whole fan and controller as a unit. Putting new brushes in the fan motor doesn't usually get it all going again.

I purchased a unit from Poland that has harder brushes in the motor for longer life and a more ruggedised controller for my C5X7 RHR car so I will see how that lasts.

Cheers, Ken

As usual, dimi is right. My fan is dead. Nothing I do gets it to run. I can't see any relays/controller.
My poor daughter has been blaming herself for letting my car overheat. She was driving it at the time.

Ken, would you have a link to the fan/relay combo you can post or pm me?

I was quoted $1405 for a fan by peugeot and $80 for the relay.

Peugeot dealer told me the new part number is 1253C3. Is there a way to confirm this is the correct part number for my car?

Last edited: