Pug 404 1967 repair manual

pug1967

Tadpole
Hi,
Does anyone have service manual for Pug 404 1967, manufactured in VIC for AU market.
Interested how to fix reverse gear. All 4 gears are engaging, but can't engage in reverse.

If it helps, from the 403 book - 403 gears.jpg

Hi,
Does anyone have service manual for Pug 404 1967, manufactured in VIC for AU market.
Interested how to fix reverse gear. All 4 gears are engaging, but can't engage in reverse.

The 67 models are part 1966 and part 1968.

They have a hydraulic clutch and the BA7 non overdrive gearbox gearbox , same as 1968 models. I have a feeling they use the 1966 body hull.

As to your problem.I'd be checking out the linkages first, especially the linkages the control north-south movement

Also have a look at the bush right at bottom of the steering column that gear lever rod sits in. These can collapse and result lots of free play and lost motion.

A correctly adjusted 404 BA 7 gear lever sits about horizontal and without any fore- aft movement should select 2-3 with gentle finger pressure.

The adjustment is done by rotating the ball joint heads . It's a bit of trial and error and self evident once you climb under and have a look.

The is another common fault . The bell crank doover welded to the bottom end of the steering column outer tube can fall off due to weld breaking.

It's worth checking.

I have a factory manual that cover both early and late models, if you send me Private message with your email I can email you a copy in pdf format.
It's around 70Mb which is eminently emailable.

The 67 models are part 1966 and part 1968.

They have a hydraulic clutch and the BA7 non overdrive gearbox gearbox , same as 1968 models. I have a feeling they use the 1966 body hull.

As to your problem.I'd be checking out the linkages first, especially the linkages the control north-south movement

Also have a look at the bush right at bottom of the steering column that gear lever rod sits in. These can collapse and result lots of free play and lost motion.

A correctly adjusted 404 BA 7 gear lever sits about horizontal and without any fore- aft movement should select 2-3 with gentle finger pressure.

The adjustment is done by rotating the ball joint heads . It's a bit of trial and error and self evident once you climb under and have a look.

The is another common fault . The bell crank doover welded to the bottom end of the steering column outer tube can fall off due to weld breaking.

It's worth checking.

I have a factory manual that cover both early and late models, if you send me Private message with your email I can email you a copy in pdf format.
It's around 70Mb which is eminently emailable.

Here is the 404 factory manual in pdf format on Dropbox download it promptly if want it!

EDIT: THURS 11TH

Since nothing has been said in around a week . I assume those who need it have it.

So it's now about go into the bit bucket

Last edited: