Pug 403 Ammeter

peugeotnut

Fellow Frogger
Have converted the dynamo to the more efficient alternator, but the ammeter measurement has a max of 20a only, therefore my Ammeter would always be showing max reading, probably killing it slowly.
Has anyone manage to change ammeter to a higher rating unit to fit the Pug403 meter clusters?

I do not want to add another external gauge, trying to find one square type to snuggle into the meter clusters.

hh.jpg

I'm not a guru on auto electrics but why would the ammeter always be maxed out. The load hasn't changed. Just because an alternator is capable of delivering 60A or whatever doesn't mean it does that constantly - it will just match the load. If headlights etc are drawing 20A the alternator will match that amount and the net charge going into the battery will stay small.

Wouldn't the only time the ammeter would be maxed out be when the battery has been run down and the alternator would put lots of current in to recharge it? eg, maybe it would sit high for a while if it took you a while to start the car and the starter had been cranking over for a while?

I guess the question is whether occasionally having more than 20A going through it will kill the ammeter.

I’m running a alternater in the 403. When i changed it over it seemed to stabilised the ammeter, still goes up to 20 sometimes but pretty stable between 5-10 most of the time. You might have a small short somewhere or a bad earth? Only a guess as I’m also definitely not a auto elec.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

I’m running a alternater in the 403. When i changed it over it seemed to stabilised the ammeter, still goes up to 20 sometimes but pretty stable between 5-10 most of the time. You might have a small short somewhere or a bad earth? Only a guess as I’m also definitely not a auto elec.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

yup, will recheck the wiring again.

I'm not a guru on auto electrics but why would the ammeter always be maxed out. The load hasn't changed. Just because an alternator is capable of delivering 60A or whatever doesn't mean it does that constantly - it will just match the load. If headlights etc are drawing 20A the alternator will match that amount and the net charge going into the battery will stay small.

Wouldn't the only time the ammeter would be maxed out be when the battery has been run down and the alternator would put lots of current in to recharge it? eg, maybe it would sit high for a while if it took you a while to start the car and the starter had been cranking over for a while?

I guess the question is whether occasionally having more than 20A going through it will kill the ammeter.

on idling it does not max up, not mistaken was about 10A, only hits the max when revving

We need the electrical know-how of either Robmac or Hotrodelectric here. How sad that neither are now contributors in the Forum.

Ian.

We lost Hotrodelectric?

He has not been posting for 6 months or so. I do recall that he shared the fact of having some health problems. Hope that is not the reason for extended absence - but one worries that it may be so.

Ian.

Only hits the max when charging a flat battery.
Current to the headlights won't show unless you connect them to the battery side, not a good idea anyway as there is less voltage there than at the alternator.
You won't damage the ammeter by putting more than 20 amps through it, so in short no problem with having a 20 amp ammeter. It should sit around zero for most of the time.

I have an alternator on my 403 wagon and the gauge never shows charging but shows slight discharge with inicators in use or brake pedal and lights. I'm tthinking of putting an ammeter in.Is this best idea?

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

would be nice to see all the gauges in working order, but for the ammeter you probably need to do a routine check on the wire that's connected from the alternator to the ammeter. would not want it to be shorting anywhere especially around the firewall grommet if there is one.

I have an alternator on my 403 wagon and the gauge never shows charging but shows slight discharge with inicators in use or brake pedal and lights. I'm tthinking of putting an ammeter in.Is this best idea?

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hi guys: My car? 203c. Donk? 403. Electricity supply? Alternator. Gauge? Original amp meter. Works? Just fine thanks.

Problems? None. Worry not !!!! ��