Pug 205 GTI Fuel Problems

greggwynne

Tadpole
First off, I'm no mechanic!

Alright lads, so, had another mechanic come have a look at Pugsley today and try and sort out this fuel issue I've been having. After a few hours of tinkering, she still doesn't want to start.

Managed to get it started up briefly on easy today, so it wants to start. Mechanic no.1 reckoned the pump shit itself, so we replaced it. It was just getting fuel up to the rail and even whilst cranking the manual relay it still didn't want to start. Now after today and mechanic no.3, says the same thing, has spark, fuel is the problem, he says it wasn't getting past the filter now, he now recons there could be a blockage in the lines causing poor flow or possibly the pump again, although he did say the pump was trying it's hardest, he did take the line off etc to the pump and manage to get some fuel out, it was pretty yellow and stank, so I guess the next step is to clean the tank out.

This is the 3rd, yes the 3rd mechanic to look at it and walk away with no definitive answer as to why it won't start, all they say is it's defo a fuel problem 🤦*♂️ they all look completely puzzled 😂

Anybody on or near the Gold Coast know of a decent mechanic that knows these cars??

Has anyone put a noid light the injectors it’s pretty simple to check fuel pressure at the rail how old is the fuel

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Mechanic had a noid light in them today, they were fine and pulsing apparently. The fuel, well I tried to empty as much as I could out of the tank about 6 month ago before putting about another 10ltr of fresh in, but what the mechanic took out today was a little yellow.

I had the rubber fuel delivery line between the filter and the steel pipe at the fire wall collapse internally on my 205.

Maybe get them to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail if possible.

Mechanic had a noid light in them today, they were fine and pulsing apparently. The fuel, well I tried to empty as much as I could out of the tank about 6 month ago before putting about another 10ltr of fresh in, but what the mechanic took out today was a little yellow.

Took the fuel filter off today and there was no fuel in it, dry. Blew down the line and could heat it bubbling in the tank, so surely it can't be a block. I've ordered another fuel pump

Air bubbling in the tank doesn't mean the hose is not blocked. Think of how a one way valve works. That's what's happening with your fuel supply line to the filter. There may be some gunk that can move a couple of mm up and down and gets wedged when pushed from the tank by petrol. Air also flows differently to fluid.

You are trying to blunder your way through this problem instead of being methodical. I reckon this way you're going to go through a lot of mechanics. Cut it short and find one with a fuel pressure gauge next. Better still, go buy one and check for yourself. I reckon by now you could have paid for one with the mechanics' fees. The gauge is going to tell you if any fuel makes it through to the engine. If not, well, at least you know what to look for. If you changed the pump with a new one, you shouldn't have any problems there but I would still uncouple the banjo, put it in a bucket and crank the engine see what happens.

Now that you want to replace the pump a second time, before you throw it out, why not try it on a battery directly? Just for a few seconds to make sure it spins, buzzes, does something, whatever (or not)? Was this replacement pump new or s/h?

Anyhoo. Starts to sound like the re-run of a bad movie.

Last edited:
Correct, blowing shows its open but air is different to petrol in many ways so bubbles do not show the fuel line is out of the picture. Test fuel pump externally as recommended to show its either ok or not