PSA V6 (ES9 Engine ) Cylinder numbering?

Motorgnome

Fellow Frogger
G'day all.
Would any of the brains trust here know the cylinder numbering of the ES9 V6 engine , as fitted to Xantia, Late XM & early C5"s?

My technical books tell me cylinder number one is rear bank, closest to the driver, but that isn't making sense "mechanically" A google search reveals one result that says number one is on the front bank, closest to the gearbox, with cylinder 6 being rear bank, closest to the driver.

Can anyone clarify who is right?

Thanks..Jason

Pots numbered as this diagram from the Xantia handbook - front head A, rear head B. 1,4 at transmission.
xantia-v6.png

Here's a page from the C5 X7 2008 handbook, numbering the XFV engine ES9A this time
C5X7 handbook.png

Can anyone explain why PSA decide to use 2 different names/codes for so many engines?

Eg. XM, Xantia, 406 D8, 605 all had the ES9J4 engine, referred to above (and in Lexia/PP2000/Planet) as an XFZ.

My 406 D9 has an ES9J4S, also referred to as the XFX, while the ES9A above is referred to as XFV. My 605 engine (a PRV V6) is referred to as a UFZ or ZPJ, depending on context. No doubt the VIN couldn't handle more than 3 characters, but if that 3 letter code uniquely identifies the engine, why do we have the longer codes as well?

I think the XF* describes differing horsepower outputs.

The RGX, XFZ etc seems to be more of a Citroen nomenclature and is short enough to be used in the VIN to describe engine series used in each car. The ES9A XU10J4RS series seems more Peugeot based and is longer so you can have some guess as to what features the engine has eg XU10 means 2 litres, J4 means 4 valves per cylinder, RS who knows what that adds.

That's what I have rationalised to myself as the reasoning behind it.

Cheers, Ken

No the es** refers to the hard engine where as the XFX etc refers to the injection pollution control and spec and is why it's in the Vin you can reference the code back to the hard engine Peugeot and Citroën both use this

Thanks Dave - as I was about to comment, the VIN for my 406 SV contains XFX, while a 406 HDi I've got here (non-runner) has an RHZ (DW10ATED), whiile my son's 307 has an RHY (DW10TD). So both names or codes are used.

Gday all
Another question if I may...The firing order of the ES9 engine..just confirming it is
163524...Just double checking with those "In the Know"

Thanks

Specifications​

Peugeot ES9 J4S, 4 stroke, by Sodemo
Introduced in 2000

Dimensions​

Cylinders arrangement: V6 (60o)
Strokes: 4
Bore x Stroke: 92.0 x 80.2 mm
Capacity: 3199 cc
Compression ratio:

Construction materials​

aluminium alloy block
cylinder head: aluminium alloy
forged steel crankshaft with 4 main bearings
steel connecting rod

Cylinder-head​

crossflow design
DOHC
4 valves per cylinder - 24 valves total

Aspiration​

2 x Garrett turbochargers with multipoint electronic Fuel Injection. 2 x 32.4mm turbo restrictors until 2002, 2 x 30.7mm turbo restrictors since 2003

Ignition​

ECU,
Firing order, 1 - 6 - 3 - 5 - 2 - 4

Cooling and lubrication​

water cooled
dry sump

Three Cheers for Dr Google, Ken

So who on here has an ES9J4S with twin turbochargers and a dry sump?? Also surprised that Google puts the capacity/displacement at 3199cc!

Wikipedia makes things a bit clearer - the 3.2 l biturbo was a race engine. The rest of us get 2946cc and natural aspiration...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_ES/L_engine

Funny a qualified mechanic takes their information from some guy on the internet.

I would imagine you could figure things out on your own with no manuals and no internet.

Don't worry, you're in good hands, seasink (and many others here) is a trustworthy resource, but I wouldn't bring my car to you.

On the positive side, good at least you asked rather than screw something up and then blame the customer.

Funny a qualified mechanic takes their information from some guy on the internet.

I would imagine you could figure things out on your own with no manuals and no internet.

Don't worry, you're in good hands, seasink (and many others here) is a trustworthy resource, but I wouldn't bring my car to you.

On the positive side, good at least you asked rather than screw something up and then blame the customer.
Gee mate, I find that offensive... I have been ( and still am, a mechanic of 40 years) I have had my workshop for 31 years. He who professes to know everything is a fool, just as you are to shoot your mouth off without knowing ANY facts about me.

I asked a simple question as I found confilcting answers online & in technical publications that I subscribe to each month, I didn't expect to get some smart comment questioning my mechanical abilities. I thought that is what forums are for..help and advice..
You don't help their causes & if someone says "troll"..don't turn around hey!

Reactions: cjl
And for those wondering why as a mechanic that I need this information, well I have put an ES9J4S engine & 5 speed manual gearbox into my XM series 1 & am wiring up the megasquirt engine management system to run it...getting the correct information at the initial stages will reduce headaches down the road..

Oh, .It's my own car too.

Attachments

• PXL_20211130_092601846_copy_768x1020.jpg
    PXL_20211130_092601846_copy_768x1020.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 149
i was going to reply first thing this morning but went for a bike ride and a swim ,to calm down ,its that type of reply i would have found offensive ,but have become accustomed to, from Schlitz, glad to see the Gnome can stand his own !

And for those wondering why as a mechanic that I need this information, well I have put an ES9J4S engine & 5 speed manual gearbox into my XM series 1 & am wiring up the megasquirt engine management system to run it...getting the correct information at the initial stages will reduce headaches down the road..

Oh, .It's my own car too.
If ever anywhere near you on my travels, sorry, but you've got a visitor.
Love to do what you've done. Not sure as to whether I would attempt the 5 speed manual.
Where the hell did box and associated gear come from ?
John

Gee mate, I find that offensive... I have been ( and still am, a mechanic of 40 years) I have had my workshop for 31 years. He who professes to know everything is a fool, just as you are to shoot your mouth off without knowing ANY facts about me.

I asked a simple question as I found confilcting answers online & in technical publications that I subscribe to each month, I didn't expect to get some smart comment questioning my mechanical abilities. I thought that is what forums are for..help and advice..
You don't help their causes & if someone says "troll"..don't turn around hey!

Not my intention to offend, but you say you are a qualified mechanic and you would rather trust the internet than your own logic. What do you think that says about you?

Like I said, you can work out the firing order on your own (you don't actually need the factory cylinder numbering for anything other than reading factory manuals and as you have learned that can get murky quickly). But if you absolutely must you can work out that one too, if you have a mark on the front pulley. I have done it on many cars, and no, I am not a mechanic. Logic and reason beat qualifications every time.

Oh, and others ready to jump in please go back and read your own posts in the "Australia has a skills shortage" thread.

Motorgnome, again. You actually did better than most mechanics who would not even admit their own ignorance including some on this very site.

Many people here have squirrelled away a great quantity of factory information. It is reasonable to ask for confirmation of something when doing something like this job. I looked through my file stash and couldn't find the answer in writing, or I would have posted it.