PRV Starter motors ?

Jason Morris

Fellow Frogger
I remember reading a post listing all the common faults with the Pug V6, and recall starters being on the list. What dies on them and what symptom does it give?

My factory 505 V6 engine occasionally will not crank - appears like a really flat battery. After a few minutes it cranks at full speed again. Unfortunately after a lengthy engine-off period in a traffic standstill it decided to do this and we had to push it to the side of the road and wait for the stars to re-align, with three kids in the hot sun etc !!! I'll get brave one weekend soon & TRY to get the thing off....

the solenoids get hot as they run close to the exhaust especially if you are running extractors
you either need to make a heat shield up or maybe try and run a remote solenoid
one a good note though they are fairly easy to remove
they are not the dreaded 1/2 day job that people talk about
you can remove one in around 20-30 mins

Try fitting a starter relay up as close to the starter as possible. I fit a relay to all 504-604-505's as all I've had have had this problem at some stage. Could also be brushes. I guess Rays talking about the bracket on the end of the starter on 604's being got at past the oil filter. Leave it off the starter if you do remove the starter from the car. Another tip is buy yourself a set of 3/8 Drive sockets and a set of wobble bar extensions.

has anyone had trouble with their 306 in relation to the starter motor. My starter motor went so I had it re-conditioned, it was fine for a couple of months then it started playing up again. So the auto-elec installed a starter relay, fine for a week or so then it started playing up again. Now it's back at the Auto-elec. This symptoms every time is that cranking speed slows and then it just stops cranking at all. My battery is brand new and has been tested and the connections have also recently been redone. Sound familiar to anyone?