Proposed R12 Gordini replica restoration

renaultracer

Tadpole
Hi all, Inspired by Rory's R12 rest thread I am encouraged to restore the vehicle that has been in my shed for many years. During its active life it took a gentle shunt to the front. It had the light frame attached at the time which fed the impact, not only directly into the structure but also into the guards, forcing them back against the doors. So she needs to go on the rack and be pulled into shape. The alternative is obviously to find another body. I realise that after so many years a donor may be very hard to find. So if anyone can point me to a square headlight R12 I would be most grateful.
I attempted to attach some pics but the technology beat me, I'll have to work on that. Cheers, Geoff

Hi, there was a pretty presentable red r12 in Perth for sale via Facebook that would be a good start. If you are on there? It may may been sent to the wreckers though
Glad you're feeling inspired!

Hi, there was a pretty presentable red r12 in Perth for sale via Facebook that would be a good start. If you are on there? It may may been sent to the wreckers though
Glad you're feeling inspired!
As far as I know, the red car is still there.

As far as I know, the red car is still there.
In Geraldton.....
Some of the bits from the car just dismantled would have suited my Virage, just too far away.
There are a couple on FB marketplace, interesting price points

In Geraldton.....
Some of the bits from the car just dismantled would have suited my Virage, just too far away.
There are a couple on FB marketplace, interesting price points
Yes, a bit north of Perth. 49 degrees there today!!!!!!!!!!

This 12G got started in about the beginning of November for its main assembly. They asked me to build a motor ...

1708258866971.jpeg

Red one in Perth would be a great candidate for a 12G replica. I remember when I saw the add a few weeks ago thinking it would be good for that, as it appears to be a very early shell.

If you have choice get an auto as the 5 speed needs a bit more room and the auto has a larger hump in the floor. Also an very early R12 will not fit the engine in because the cross member at the fire wall is straight across. Later cars had a slight bend to allow for an 807 style motor. Yes I know they can be rebuilt but if there is a choice.

Being a little pedantic here, but if you have a look at an early crossmember, it should have
a formed flange to clear the camshaft pulley.
That flange was vital to convince the rego gestapo that the car was built to take the R17 donk.

And... Ray... A beautiful clean new engine...ya coulda, shoulda cleaned the dust off the
engine bay...!

Reactions: COL
Being a little pedantic here, but if you have a look at an early crossmember, it should have
a formed flange to clear the camshaft pulley.
That flange was vital to convince the rego gestapo that the car was built to take the R17 donk.

And... Ray... A beautiful clean new engine...ya coulda, shoulda cleaned the dust off the
engine bay...!
He only did the engine and shipped it back Eastern States.

Thanks for the tips, very useful. I have spoken to Peter in Geraldton, If cross member is right then getting it east is the problem.

Thanks for the tips, very useful. I have spoken to Peter in Geraldton, If cross member is right then getting it east is the problem.
Here are some pics of the clearance in my car with I believe the cross member with not indent for the cam pulley. It is tight but it fits.
Also a photo of a different style cross member in a virage parts car
IMG_20240219_110800_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240219_110736_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240219_110719_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_110813_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_20240219_110813_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 19
Just looked at mine, compared to your second photo the engine is say 10-15 mm further back and that flange has just been cut away to clear the pulley. Not good for strength !!

There are two types of cross member, the early cars pre 1974 or somewhere there had the larger style cross member and post 1975 had the slightly smaller cross member.

There is not a lot of clearance for the camshaft pulley, so for the R12G/R15/R17 motors you will find a smaller pulley on the camshaft.

Where do I get a Gordini rocker cover ? I really want one of those !!!
French Connection made their own. Also available though the likes of Mecaparts/GBS/Simon Auto etc.