Proper Hill Climb

Bizarre - shorter than Amaroo ?

Cheers

Justin

Bizarre - shorter than Amaroo ?

Cheers

Justin
Not really a hill climb track and not what I would call Proper. That footage is a what they call "Trials".
Amaroo was a sealed tarmac hill climb track, in a Gordini you would be into 3rd at the finish. I remember Paul Halstead (The Toy Shop NTH Sydney) brought his 351 Ford Cobra to an event and covered the place in blue tyre smoke after a great run up the hill. I also recall that a very fast road going 2.2 Litre VW beetle got FTD that day, just in front of a 2.7 RS Porsche.

The Bathurst Light Car Club still run hill climbs up the Mt Panorama Esses. Start at Forests Elbow and finish at McPhillamy.

When Amaroo was developed, one of the resulting 5 acre blocks now has the old hill climb track as the driveway and some of the old sandstone block wall forms the part of entry. The old commentary box became the kids tree house.

Oh yes - I'm more than familiar with Amaroo - competed in a few Motathlons there.

I wonder if I came across that Beetle one day at Catalina Park - certainly the claim was that the Beetle on the day had a 2.2L Powertune engine installed, and you've never heard a Beetle sing like that one.

Cheers

Justin