Project Grover

Hi mate, nice project and very impressive multi talented skill set, I just joined to ask a question specifically about your transmission controller, is it a design of your own or something you have found on the internet ? I just did the V8 torque converter upgrade on my Td5 and am also using the Transmission Controller from a V8 disco but it needs some tweaking, but it is not programmable over the obd port, I have a desire to follow in your footsteps and dyi a controller . I can't seem to message you so maybe too new a member at this point.
Thanks mate. Transmission controller is of my own design, based on a cheap Arduino processor. I've saved on expense by taking the pulses from the ABS system as my output speed reference (multiplied as necessary by wheel size, diff ratio, transfer case ratios and high/low range selection), this has avoided the added complication and expense of a VR conditioner to read the transmission output speed. It's still way more accurate than it needs to be.

I'm considering upgrading my torque converter to the V8 one also, however for me it will require a new bellhousing as the current one won't fit the larger diameter unit.

Despite not being programmable via OBD, I did determine that you could read the flash of the original ECU and then reverse engineer it and modify it as desired, but that still wouldn't give me the level of control that I wanted.

I do some fun stuff with this, like torque converter lockup in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, real time torque and torque demand gear selection, torque converter lockup in low range whenever at zero throttle to maximise engine braking, with the addition of adding line pressure and closing the turbo wastegate to maximise parasitic resistance. Even with the steepest hill I've taken it down (probably close to 50 degrees), you can put it in low range, 1st gear, and basically get out and walk alongside it. It will not run away.

Lately I've had the controller doing data logging to calculate the most economical gear to be in for any given speed and torque.

I have another project car that I'm also building a 4HP24 in, and have ideas for a whole new design for the controller. At that point, I'm considering getting the boards produced professionally, so I could potentially sell a few. I see quite a market in the Land Rover community.

Hi mate, nice project and very impressive multi talented skill set, I just joined to ask a question specifically about your transmission controller, is it a design of your own or something you have found on the internet ? I just did the V8 torque converter upgrade on my Td5 and am also using the Transmission Controller from a V8 disco but it needs some tweaking, but it is not programmable over the obd port, I have a desire to follow in your footsteps and dyi a controller . I can't seem to message you so maybe too new a member at this point.
Here are some aftermarket transmission controllers. i know nothing about them except they exist.
https://automatictransmission.com.au/compushift-transmission-control-systems/
they do say "Fully Customize Your Transmission – Get full and precise control of the shifting strategy for your transmission. Each COMPUSHIFT transmission controller is delivered with versatile factory-set programming for a wide variety of transmission and engine combinations. However, you can completely customise settings to your exact specifications."

This not to undermine Demannu's fantastic work, design and R and D.
jaahn

Thanks mate. Transmission controller is of my own design, based on a cheap Arduino processor. I've saved on expense by taking the pulses from the ABS system as my output speed reference (multiplied as necessary by wheel size, diff ratio, transfer case ratios and high/low range selection), this has avoided the added complication and expense of a VR conditioner to read the transmission output speed. It's still way more accurate than it needs to be.
Well I am learning already, had to look up what a VR conditioner is. Not playing with Arduino yet, didn't get much past hello world in basic all them years ago.
I'm considering upgrading my torque converter to the V8 one also, however for me it will require a new bellhousing as the current one won't fit the larger diameter unit.
My Disco 2 Td5 is a mis spannered POS ( previous owners not me) but the lower stall speed and having the car actually move off the line instead of winding the rubber band up first was well worth the upgrade, I now wax lyrical it should be the first performance improvement. Didn't need a tune either as everyone parrots, more than enough power stock to pull away.
Despite not being programmable via OBD, I did determine that you could read the flash of the original ECU and then reverse engineer it and modify it as desired, but that still wouldn't give me the level of control that I wanted.
Yep I unsoldered the eprom and read the file but my eeprom progammer (got as far as doing my own amateur hour engine tunes using Tuner Pro) reads it in what I think is called little endian/reverse byte order if I have researched correctly. The methods of converting to big endian via scripts (so I can go to look for the tables) is gibberish to me, not being a programmer.
I do some fun stuff with this, like torque converter lockup in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, real time torque and torque demand gear selection, torque converter lockup in low range whenever at zero throttle to maximise engine braking, with the addition of adding line pressure and closing the turbo wastegate to maximise parasitic resistance. Even with the steepest hill I've taken it down (probably close to 50 degrees), you can put it in low range, 1st gear, and basically get out and walk alongside it. It will not run away.

Lately I've had the controller doing data logging to calculate the most economical gear to be in for any given speed and torque.
Ok I'm beyond envious of your skills now , it's turning into outright jealousy !
I have another project car that I'm also building a 4HP24 in, and have ideas for a whole new design for the controller. At that point, I'm considering getting the boards produced professionally, so I could potentially sell a few. I see quite a market in the Land Rover community.
Are you talking component loaded boards or diy assembly with loose components kit or bare boards? The soldering iron and brain is gathering dust again (given up at this point on working the reverse byte hex out) any chance of getting some current controller schematics /board layout / programming scripts to look at ? Have you got a write up somewhere on the net?
Here are some aftermarket transmission controllers. i know nothing about them except they exist.
https://automatictransmission.com.au/compushift-transmission-control-systems/
they do say "Fully Customize Your Transmission – Get full and precise control of the shifting strategy for your transmission. Each COMPUSHIFT transmission controller is delivered with versatile factory-set programming for a wide variety of transmission and engine combinations. However, you can completely customise settings to your exact specifications."

This not to undermine Demannu's fantastic work, design and R and D.
jaahn
The aftermarket ones are way out of my pensioner price range (so are land rovers but I swapped a car for it and was clueless as to how many things go wrong on these over engineered contraptions, and the cost, even when you can spanner things yourself) also like to try and learn to keep brain ticking over, hence the (so far) failed effort to decypher the hex and do some adjustments on the factory transmission controller. So the search for diy stuff is cost/learning based, I want to have some control over the shift patterns, so since I am not cluey enough I will find others that are, I am more an electronic hardware than software type so can build the circuit and load up someone elses programming and follow instructions but not write my own.