Project Belle'

Hi Peter,

PM sent

Dano

fnqvmuch, started a thread in September last year, about the availability of replacement 203 panels. (Can't load the link, it is getting harder to insert pictures etc. Arrrrggggh!!!)

The link within the thread is no longer available, but with his (fnqvmuch) assistance and a few hours trawling the web, I found Pascal at Peugeot Service de Presse. He is a very helpful proprietor, who answers emails promptly and nothing was a problem for him.

He produces 203 panels using moulds that he manufactured, using original drawing/specifications from Peugeot.

Unfortunately, Belles floor pans and sundry panels are not as good as first thought. As mentioned earlier, a lot the areas that are the usual suspects for rust within a 203 were fibre-glassed over, then cover in a bitumen type material.

After cutting, patching and a lot of re-work on the 404, I decided that it would be easier to simply order the panels for Belle. All things being considered, the parts are reasonably priced. Freight made up a third of the total purchase price.

These arrived today!

111891d1547533141-project-belle-dscn2887.jpg

Superbly packed for transit

111892d1547533221-project-belle-dscn2889.jpg

Boot floor section, 2 x boot gussets, 2 x side jacking points and 2 x 6V Battery trays.

111893d1547533373-project-belle-dscn2890.jpg

2 x butresses (subframes), 2 x battery support panels, 2 x outer sill panels and 1 x Rear seat(Rear panel between boot lid and bumper]

111894d1547533408-project-belle-dscn2892.jpg

2 x floor pans and 2 x inner sill panels

I am impressed with what arrived and how well they were packed.

These outer sill panels are for a fellow Frogger who piggybacked my order into OZ. (I guess that is what this site is all about)

111895d1547533473-project-belle-dscn2894-2.jpg

Now they are back in their delivery boxes, until the 404 is finished.

This is Pascal's email, if anyone is interested in contacting him. Unfortunately, he only does 203 panels.

PSPresse@outlook.fr

Cheers,

Dano

Attachments

• DSCN2887.jpg
    DSCN2887.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 672
  • DSCN2889.jpg
    DSCN2889.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 665
  • DSCN2890.jpg
    DSCN2890.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCN2892.jpg
    DSCN2892.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • DSCN2894 2.jpg
    DSCN2894 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Can’t be the only one thinking “- that’s what I need”. All respect for Pascal’s Intellectual Property rights, but do you think it could be arranged for a license / patterns to be taken, and your considerable costs defrayed somehow?
Steven

Last edited:
Steve,

To be perfectly honest,
1. I seriously doubt that there is a big enough market in Oz to go through the hassle of manufacturing/licencing said moulds etc.
2. After what he has done for me, I would not even ask. In his own words, "He is a boutique enterprise, working with slim margins"

As stated in an earlier entry, postage/freight is the killer and very few, if any sellers will entertain the concept of surface/sea freight. Too slow and too many hassles. The Euro to AUD conversion rate is also unfriendly at the moment. When I started the 404, 6 years ago, the rate was around $0.80 AUD to the Euro. Now, it can be as low as $0.59 by the time banks and PayPal etc., take their cuts.

No offence meant, my friend.

Cheers.

Dano

Last edited:
Was tinkering with Belle’s headlights today.

As with the 404 the 203 will get a complete new wiring loom and run LED bulbs.

Although Belle is a 1955, 203C her early chassis number means that she still has many early model features. This includes no front indicators and the parking bulbs positioned in the headlight bulb holders. The light from the festoon bulb shone through a slot in the holder.

attachment.php
manual.jpg

Knowing this now, explains way I have vague memories of the family 203 with water in the headlight. Dad would occasionally take the lights out and pour out the water. Funny the things you remember. I digress…

Due to the existing pots poor condition (Rust). This was the better of the two, both had small rust pin holes on the lens surface.

attachment.php
20190716_143050.jpg

a set of 404 pots have been modified, prior to sending them of to be re-silvered. This involved, removing the mounting/beam adjusting screws, so the pots can be housed in the existing potholders.

attachment.php
20190801_134709 a.jpg

attachment.php
20190801_133839.jpg

Yonks ago, I do remember the family having a 403 that had its parking bulbs in the headlight as well. According to the parts manual listed on the Peugeot Museum website, it shows this version. The festoon bulb has been replaced with an ordinary bayonet bulb, again housed in the headlight bulb holder. An improvement on the 203 light, but still not watertight.

attachment.php
403 light.jpg

As the intent is to use LED’s I took a leaf out of the early D Series Citroen and drilled a hole in the pot to house an enclosed watertight LED. This will prevent water entering into the pot.The LED and associated wiring can be installed via the headlight bulb opening.

attachment.php
20190801_141825.jpg
attachment.php
20190801_142510.jpg

When the re-silvered pots are returned, the existing 203 lenses will be installed. They have a different pattern on the glass.

attachment.php
20190801_132605.jpg

Due to the car not having front indicators and for safety reasons, the semaphore arm, festoon bulbs will be substituted with flashing LED units. I would like to give credit where credit is due, but for love or money I cannot remember the name of the Citroen member who posted this link. Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions.

attachment.php
led festoon.jpg

Cheers,

Dano

Suggestion: drill a second hole for a future front indicator lamp. You could plug it until needed

It can be 180 degrees from park lamp hole.

Then you have options if Mr Plod requires front indicators for a roadworthy.

Rob,
Good idea, but I don’t think there will be an issue, as the factory parts manuals etc. clearly indicate that they were never fitted. It could also be argued that it is similar to a Morris 1000, which only has one semaphore unit per side. It will be sometime before I really need to worried about it though.
Cheers
Dan

Thanks for the heads up from Marty404, I was able to pick up these bits on Sunday.

They are out of a '54 panel van.

Although. I have 2 motors (Various stages of assembly) and 2 gearboxes, all these parts came out of a recently running van.

Unfortunately the van will be heavily modified and these parts wont be included in the rebuild(?) What the end product will be is not my cup of tea, but I am the winner with these bits.

Parts acquired include;

Complete 203 engine, including all the ancillary bits and pieces, plus spares. This will now be the engine I rebuild. The others will be back up cranks, cams and heads etc.

1engbox.png
2engbox2.png
3engbox3.png

The gearbox a C2 overdrive version.

Complete front end - which will replace the disc brake, modified 403 one in Belle (It is already spoken for). The rack is free and smooth to turn.

fonte1.png

Complete steering column. The plastic gear lever and pots are broken. It has the early twist round light stem and control unit which are good condition. Open to offers on that, if anyone is interested.

Complete rear end. Torque tube, axles, brake drums springs and shackles plus the big section rebound blocks. Not sure what the diff is like, but I will be opening the top inspection plate to have a look at the crown wheel, sometime this week. If it is OK, the whole rear will be up for sale. Excluding the wheel cylinders and brake line unions, that is if they are interchangeable with the sedan. Need to cross-reference the parts manual.

1reare.png
spring1.png

5 near perfect 16 inch, 5 stud rims. If the rim centres are the same diameter as the 15 inch wheels, at a later date, I'll have them grafted onto 403 sedan rims.

It also came with two boxes of odds and ends, one being a cast alloy, exhaust tail pipe outlet.

exhaust1.png

Not much has been done to Belle, except for having her diff completly rebuilt in Melbourne with genuine NOS crown wheel and pinion plus bearings and sundries.

Still tinkering with Keith and domestic chores. Hope to get her up on blocks and stripped these holidays.

These arrived from France today. A pair of new vinatge appropriate Marchal headlight lenses. They should put a twinkle in her eyes, along with the refurbished reflector pots.
1640142068334.png

Not much has been done to Belle, except for having her diff completly rebuilt in Melbourne with genuine NOS crown wheel and pinion plus bearings and sundries.

Still tinkering with Keith and domestic chores. Hope to get her up on blocks and stripped these holidays.

These arrived from France today. A pair of new vinatge appropriate Marchal headlight lenses. They should put a twinkle in her eyes, along with the refurbished reflector pots.
View attachment 139287
Piece by piece it goes on.

Happx X-mas :)

Piece by piece it goes on.

Happx X-mas :)
Hi Martin
Good to hear from you.
How is the resto going on your Van/Wagon? Some picks and tips on replacing the floor sections would be appreciated, as I am going to do the same on Belle.
Cheers,
Dan

Oi! no pressure or anything. :)
Unfortunately not Graham.
Back working full-time, still trying to finish a bathroom renovation which started ages ago. I caught COVID just prior to the first term holidays, put my back out the first day of these holidays. If I was a race horse they'd put me down.
The good news is, I do now have just about everything I need to undertake a full resto. Engine bearings and upholstery are about all that is required. Won't know bearing sizes, until the engine is stripped.
Stay tuned though, it will happen.
Cheers,

Dan

Noice car! I note the apparent lack of rust, she looks to be in good nick. Where does the little fella reside now?
Same shed where Keith was rebirthed. Keperra , Brisbane