Project Belle'

Hi,

Look what I found, when I went looking for a 404 Bonnet.

Meet Belle’, she has been sitting in a dry shed for the last 22 years.

View attachment 72943 View attachment 72934 View attachment 72944

She was last registered in 1993. Surprisingly it is relatively rust free. There is none in any of the doors, bonnet or boot lid, a little around the battery area, a few small holes in the front floor. The Sub-frames look perfect. There is an ugly section between the two rear jacking points under the rear of the boot floor. All around the fuel tank looks OK though. There has been a prior rust repair in the engine bay and right floor section, but time will tell what lies underneath that. I am sure that I will find more, but hey, it is nearly 60 years old.

View attachment 72939 View attachment 72933

The previous owner had started to restore her by removing some body panels and trim as well as removing the motor and stripping it. The head has been reconditioned and from what I can work out, all the engine parts are all there as well as the body panels and trim.

View attachment 72935 View attachment 72936 View attachment 72932 View attachment 72937

It is a 203C and if anyone can date her by the chassis number, I would appreciate it.
By the plate attached to the firewall, it would appear that it was sold by a company in Brisbane called McIntosh Motors. I am not familiar with the name, although I lived in Brisbane all my life. There is also a code stamped on the plate that I have never seen before, QI 3 ?

View attachment 72941 View attachment 72940 View attachment 72942

I know I am nowhere near finishing my 404, but I just could not let it slip through my hands. It is just another case of being in the right place at the right time.

Buying it has now made finishing the 404 a priority, time to stop procrastinating.
The plan is to put it in a garage and not touch it until, Keith is finished.

I have not stopped smiling all afternoon.

Will post more photos on Saturday when I pick her up.

Cheers,

Dano
old, but still absolutely mind blowing 🤯