Problem with old Solex carb

Success at last, it starts and idles without spitting fuel everywhere. The two final changes were to make a new gasket based on the photos provided by Col, the old gasket was a poor copy which blocked one chamber and failed to seal another. I also changed the linkage to open the butterfly further to allow more air in, but keeping the revs under 1800rpm.

Thanks for all the input and info from AF members

Success at last, it starts and idles without spitting fuel everywhere. The two final changes were to make a new gasket based on the photos provided by Col, the old gasket was a poor copy which blocked one chamber and failed to seal another. I also changed the linkage to open the butterfly further to allow more air in, but keeping the revs under 1800rpm.

Thanks for all the input and info from AF members

Have you noticed its the simplest things that drive you absolutely insane ..... causing you to go in circles endlessly, where as the more complex issues usually get dealt with :clown:

Have you noticed its the simplest things that drive you absolutely insane ..... causing you to go in circles endlessly, where as the more complex issues usually get dealt with :clown:
I remember my BIL was running an LH Torana C grade bomber. You had to keep the 1BBL Stromberg under the rules and he had fitted one off a later red motor. I went to Brisbane for a visit and I'd no sooner walked in the door and he was leading me out the back to look at the Torana. "It won't idle, I've rebuilt the carby, replaced the manifold and base gaskets, fuel pump, PCV valve, fuel filter, plugs, points, condenser, plug leads, f#cking just won't run under 2000 revs,, I've been f#cking around with it for days."😡
He popped the bonnet and it didn't have an air cleaner on it, first thing I saw was the wire for the anti-dieseling solenoid hanging in breeze. Ran a short wire from the coil + to the solenoid and it idled like a champ.
His reaction to the problem being something so simple, is not fit for print.🤬🤬🤬

I remember my BIL was running an LH Torana C grade bomber. You had to keep the 1BBL Stromberg under the rules and he had fitted one off a later red motor. I went to Brisbane for a visit and I'd no sooner walked in the door and he was leading me out the back to look at the Torana. "It won't idle, I've rebuilt the carby, replaced the manifold and base gaskets, fuel pump, PCV valve, fuel filter, plugs, points, condenser, plug leads, f#cking just won't run under 2000 revs,, I've been f#cking around with it for days."😡
He popped the bonnet and it didn't have an air cleaner on it, first thing I saw was the wire for the anti-dieseling solenoid hanging in breeze. Ran a short wire from the coil + to the solenoid and it idled like a champ.
His reaction to the problem being something so simple, is not fit for print.🤬🤬🤬
Wow a working anti-diesel solenoid..... I didn't know such a thing existed. I remove the plunger from them almost always so I can back the idle back down and use the idle circuit as designed. Does everyone just up the idle screw rather solve the issue wiht the idle circuit?