power steering in a 404

PCOATES505

Fellow Frogger
Has Anyone tried putting power steering in a 404?
If so what sort of rack, and what mods had to be made. All info greatly appreciated Pete

the question i would ask here is why would you want that in a 404 ?
they have very light steering to start with
unless you have some foriegn angine in it that is heavy over the front wheels

I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY SHOULDERS, AND WE PLAN TO USE THE CAR FOR MOTORKHANAS ETC AND THOUGHT WE WOULD TRY TO MAKE THE STEERING EVEN LIGHTER :) PETE

Thanks for that question! I suppose ANY car has light steering when your name is Rambo?
My wife used to have trouble with the 404 ute and it would be wonderful to incorporate power steering if/when I get around doing up (having done up) the old 404 ute

you would have a good laugh if you ever met me and knowing that i am called Rambo :D
404 utes were heavier in the steering than a sedan as i found out with the one that my father had but once we pulled the struts apart and replaced the top bearings it was just like a sedan after that
to convert one to power steer should be an easy task just time consuming
try and get hold of a pump from a 505 and the orbital valve from one as well and then hunt around for a suitably sized cylinder (yes cylinder they are not rams, rams only have one port cylinders have two)
and then mount it to your car
if you are handy with a welder you can weld lugs to mount it just ensure you do this with the cylinder apart and try not to put too much heat into it as you will blow seals
a cylinder from a small jap car would be fine i'd say