Post for Admin regarding website errors - ALL STYLE & ERROR POSTS MERGED

The only differences I have seen in the past week or so is that like notifications didn't work. They came back about a week ago.

Everything else here seems to work fine.

The browser that I am using is also Chrome.

I noticed today when I wanted to do an advanced search, the Nav Panel wasn’t accessible.

Tis fast tho..

Not much help Rob but no problems here other than I can't get emoticons to behave - not a problem for Ken haha?

I have had the quoted text not showing but it rights itself without intervention. . .

Cheers
Chrisl

Well the quote on another's post works but emoticons don't and none of the usual functions come up at the top of the post, can't embold, (but some will be happy about that....<G> and can't seem to add any attachment, perhaps that is my computer...and the well known gremlins I'd put an emoticon after that comment but can't.

Perhaps there is a work-a-round, but I haven't discovered it yet <G>

Again maybe it is time for those of us that can still find a dollar (they are a bit scarce these days) should shell out to help with reconstruction. AS things seem to be going in Covid times our dollar might be worth less than the peso...

Ken

Problems Problems !

Hi :)Well my received likes have been hard to see for a while. I get the notification but they do not show on the post. When I give them it does not show on the post I am looking at. ??Today I could not get any emoticons to work(except the manualy applied ones) eg :( not this . And then the format of the post is not being done. So the text is just continuous without spaces or paragraphs. Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings but informed is the way to fix whatever is incorrect.Keep up the good work. Perhaps it has the virus :)Jaahn

Attempted to edit my Another Shed Clearout advert and have lost the orderly format. Now just a jumbled mess.

Most of the posting and editing errors are problems with javascript. You can follow the code using the developers' tools On my Mint box, Firefox gives least trouble and the Google based family, eg Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, etc give most. These use V8.1. What I find odd is that sometimes the code cannot handle line feeds correctly, and other times does. Support for the various browsers is listed at https://www.w3schools.com/Js/js_versions.asp I posted this using Vivaldi, and new lines do not display. Today FF won't correct it.

Most of the posting and editing errors are problems with javascript. You can follow the code using the developers' tools On my Mint box, Firefox gives least trouble and the Google based family, eg Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, etc give most. These use V8.1. What I find odd is that sometimes the code cannot handle line feeds correctly, and other times does. Support for the various browsers is listed at https://www.w3schools.com/Js/js_versions.asp I posted this using Vivaldi, and new lines do not display. Today FF won't correct it.

All issues were solved by changing to Opera browser.

So far everything works as before, Likes and downloading included

I suspect the problems in Chrome were as a result of google changing the way chrome handles java.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Bye bye google chrome!

Last edited:
Tried and alternative browser, looks o.k.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::approve: yep the emoticons work in Duck Duck Go and the editing panels seem to work

DSC06160.jpg

and hopefully the manage attachments works too Note old one from way back used...:D

Thanks to the willing workers behind the scenes fixing our small inconveniences..

Oh and it was nice to clear the post likes instead of just getting the recent posts with no idea where the likes came from..:approve:

I find at these times you possibly need different browsers especially to see favourite sites as there are a lot of gremlins playing funny …...ers I think there are some active disrupters out there trying to politically prevent people from seeing alternatives to their view.

Must be hard for site owners and administrators keeping things running. :wink2: Damn I've started an embryonic conspiracy theory... :headbang: :crazy: enjoy:adrink::cheers:

Ken

I already had opera installed. All that was needed was to tell opera to import all my existing chrome settings and passwords.

Opera works perfectly on AF. From likes to emoticons, to formatting and downloads.

Having the AF UI working properly is like having an old friend back. :D

Is anyone else experiencing issues with loading photos again today?

The thread accepted the first 3, then wont load anymore. Tried numerous times.

Had difficulty yesterday with photos and "likes" but seems to be all good now.

Ladies & gentlemen

I have been experimenting with upgrading the forum to Xenforo software for the last few weeks & with my limited style experience we have something to start off from & get us away from the errors & legacy issues we have here now with vBulletin.

The actual import of data is fairly straight forward. It is though, VERY difficult moving data on the server as I need to make a request with the host to use the shell command to put it into a database. These requests are taking longer to fill, over week, or not at all...

The forum is at over a million posts which makes it a big board by the Xenforo gauge & database is nearing 14GB.

To avoid needing to use the host again, tomorrow night I will close the forum to new posts & import the data to a new Xenforo installation. If it is successful I will simply open the Xenforo one & recycle bin this one.
If it doesn't go to plan, I will re-open this one & rethink it.

I DO have heaps of backups & I'm about to grab another one now for safe measure.

It's going to look a bit crappy for while as I have just stuck a couple of familiar pics at the top & adjusted the colours with the palette tool. If anyone wants to style the new software similar to what we have now, please let me know.
Capture.JPG

gibgib - grand poobar of af environment

Sounds exciting! Hope it goes well - glad you've got backups :)

Cheers

Alec

Froggy Green is #64C783 This is blander that the green in the sample and easier on the eye.

All colours are listed in the CSS files. You shouldn't need a palette tool for the major elements.

I wish you the very best of luck and look forward to learning about Xenforo !

Last edited: