Post for Admin regarding website errors - ALL STYLE & ERROR POSTS MERGED

Yes, there are some new bugs, but personally I'm delighted at the improved performance - being locked out for hours at a time because the site (or server, or router) was overloaded is a thing of the past.
To rephrase the famous voting advice "post early and post often" :).

Stay well

Alec

seems admins have abandoned the forum?

Or perhaps they are simply busy working their day job In order to pay the expenses required to keep AF online. And to allow many AFers to enjoy the forum free of charge. :confused:

Be thankful for small mercies... or muphy's..

I guess we could all indulge some conspiracy theories, I just thank goodness at this time the forum is functioning and members have access if they wish in this trying time and maybe a good time to ask for some help to defray costs, even if most of us are battling with the possibilities and effects of an invisible but potent pandemic that will impact many before it is vanquished and replaced by some more mundane scare.

Nice to see some familiar things …..like....Like.. :)

Praise for Mods and Admins, the unheralded great guys. :approve: and round of applause for Gib Gib..:headbang:

Ken:)

I've been avoiding posting, because I don't like to complain, but I am only able to use the mobile theme, in one browser that still has that setting applied.
All other browsers have failed with a database error as soon as I try to look at the site using the regular desktop theme. Clearing browser data, different operating systems, all do the same thing as soon as I change the theme.

Hi :)
I do not like to complain either but it is worth bringing faults to attention so they can be addressed and hopefully rectified.
My main problem is the posting of a new thread. When I post it comes up with a fault page which suggests some things, one is to resend. But that just gives two copies of the post.
What I now do instead, is go back before post, and then click the banner and get a complete new forum page, scroll down to the thread and the new post is there OK. ???????:(
Just saying. Jaahn

I do not like to complain either but it is worth bringing faults to attention so they can be addressed and hopefully rectified.
My main problem is the posting of a new thread. When I post it comes up with a fault page which suggests some things, one is to resend. But that just gives two copies of the post.
What I now do is go back before post and then click the banner and get a complete new forum page, scroll down to the thread and the new post is there OK. ???????:(
Just saying. Jaahn

Jaahn

It is possible that this is part of an attempt to moderate posts before they appear for others on the site, it is a bit disconcerting to the poster but as you say, do nothing and the post seems to be there, maybe its purpose is not always required, who knows, I don't.

It does seem it is widespread and not specific to the poster, so I guess we can bear with it. Must be hard to maintain the site that is still free for the majority even though most seem willing to contribute (speaking only for myself )

Ken

What I now do instead, is go back before post, and then click the banner and get a complete new forum page, scroll down to the thread and the new post is there OK. ???????:(
Just saying. Jaahn

I used to have similar (intermittent) issues when on the previous AF host.

I put it down to latency (delay in data transfer)issues. I never found a total solution.

On the new host I don't have the issue on any PC or any operating system.

I'd like t o see the exact error message and see a speedtest report on you internet connection.

https://www.speedtest.net/

IE: speedtest.JPG

Last edited:
There are a lot more errors going on than you are aware of here since the move & we are looking down the barrel of upgrading the whole forum.
vBulletin has died off so the most likely alternative is xenForo.
This will be installed & tested on another copy with the host helping with settings.
The theme will need tweaking & this may be a while off the actual move.

The internet world has changed a lot & we are lagging.
Vulnerable, & lacking simple robot deflective racing stripes means we can't even turn on the registration or contact us forms any more.

We will need to make do with the 2CV until we get our Lambo back :chase:

That is fine, and the present Forum is way ahead of most out there, our cars are quirky so I guess we can enjoy those quirky bits too.

ken

I used to have similar (intermittent) issues when on the previous AF host.
I put it down to latency (delay in data transfer)issues. I never found a total solution.
On the new host I don't have the issue on any PC or any operating system.
I'd like t o see the exact error message and see a speedtest report on you internet connection.
https://www.speedtest.net/
IE: View attachment 119762
Hi Rob :)
For your interest. the error message I get when posting.

image.php
Database error
The aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999 database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.aussiefrogs.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The aussiefrogs.com - French Car enthusiasts site for Australia Since 1999 - Citroen Peugeot Renault - aussiefrogs.com & Froggy Forum! forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Note I do not do any of that but just go back and refresh the the forum by clicking on the banner, and go to the post which is there OK. :)
I do know my connection is slow and I use a phone as a mobile hot spot. I assume gibgib knows all this and he is working on an update as he has said. Thanks for the forum anyway and we will await the Lambo :)
Cheers jaahn

Hi Rob :)
For your interest. the error message I get when posting.

image.php
Database error
The aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999 database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.aussiefrogs.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The aussiefrogs.com - French Car enthusiasts site for Australia Since 1999 - Citroen Peugeot Renault - aussiefrogs.com & Froggy Forum! forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

Note I do not do any of that but just go back and refresh the the page by clicking on the banner, and the post is there OK.
I do know my connection is slow and I use a phone as a mobile hot spot. I assume gibgib knows all this and he is working on an update. Thanks for the forum anyway :)
Cheers jaahn

I got "one of those" yesterday.

However the post was still saved and posted.

All bets are off based on Gib Gibs post about age related issues of VBB.

Hi gibgib :)
The forum has been good for me since the minor problems were addressed after the move. Thanks for the 2CV version we look foward to the C6 version :)
However I did have problems this morning posting about the PSA service box. It gave the same previous error message and I had trouble finding the post for a while, but it was there when it could find it again. Mind you it was just after 9 am so busy I guess. But when I try to edit it, as I usually have to do :(, It only gives a blank text box, none of the original post there, so I do not touch that and go back. Just sayin' .
cheers Jaahn
I do wash my hands before posting :)

I got "one of those" yesterday.

However the post was still saved and posted.

All bets are off based on Gib Gibs post about age related issues of VBB.

I had the same experience this morning. No big deal after the hours per day of being effectively locked out on the previous server.

Hi gibgib :)
The forum has been good for me since the minor problems were addressed after the move. Thanks for the 2CV version we look foward to the C6 version :)
However I did have problems this morning posting about the PSA service box. It gave the same previous error message and I had trouble finding the post for a while, but it was there when it could find it again. Mind you it was just after 9 am so busy I guess. But when I try to edit it, as I usually have to do :(, It only gives a blank text box, none of the original post there, so I do not touch that and go back. Just sayin' .
cheers Jaahn
I do wash my hands before posting :)

Jaahn
Having the same issue with the edit function, tried today to do a simple edit when I noticed a spelling mistake in the post, if you catch it early you can edit and the text comes up (seconds of posting) but if you try again it comes up blank. about 3 posts later tried the edit again with the same blank text box like you experienced.

I wondered if it had something to do with a problem that was evident years back, a few smarties edited after others replied to what was said, originally ie, nasty post - reply to content then clean up edit!! so reply looked stupid!

Why many now use the quote function to ensure their reply is exactly to the content in the original post as set out. Counter to that of course is when a member hot replies then self moderates to remove an offensive comment. Better to take time with the reply, but then in a busy topic many will have moved on. Only the software person knows the real reason, could be an intermittent bug as some say due to site traffic.

Regards

Ken

Yep, having trouble with 'likes' not coming up . Thanks to administrators for their hard work.

For the last couple of days:

one "stuck" Notification of like
I have no formatting options
Ihave no no smiley
Reply with quote doesn't include quote text

I'm using latest Chrome browser. No intentional changes have been made.

I've cleared the browser cache , without success

Any suggestions (helpful only please)

Browsing AF Has become a PITA.

For the last couple of days:

one "stuck" Notification of like
I have no formatting options
Ihave no no smiley
Reply with quote doesn't include quote text

I'm using latest Chrome browser. No intentional changes have been made.

I've cleared the browser cache , without success

Any suggestions (helpful only please)

Browsing AF Has become a PITA.

Not much help Rob but no problems here other than I can't get emoticons to behave - not a problem for Ken haha?

I have had the quoted text not showing but it rights itself without intervention. . .

Cheers
Chrisl

Not much help Rob but no problems here other than I can't get emoticons to behave - not a problem for Ken haha?

I have had the quoted text not showing but it rights itself without intervention. . .

Cheers
Chrisl

Seems to be working ???

but Smilys and formatting options are still no show.