Post for Admin regarding website errors - ALL STYLE & ERROR POSTS MERGED

it seems that alot of the older threads and info are gone on this new system? If im doing a search on google, i seem to get a msg saying " webpage could not be found" alot of the time when i click on the link. Any fix for this?

I showed how to get round that here - take note of the thread number Google finds.

I showed how to get round that here - take note of the thread number Google finds.
[/URL]

Gerry and Chris have both "posted" about this issue.

As I understand. the problem is as a result of new forum software. The resolution requires , time consuming, manual editing of every link.

It on the "list" however Admins are busy at the moment resolving "style " an functionality issues.

Wait around , it will be sorted in priority order, I'd think.

No need to do it by hand. The key is the thread number. This very quick and dirty effort converts an old forum link to one that works now (If you can do it elegantly, probably with regex, please post) ---

S="${OLD-URL##*/}"; read num1 num2 num3 <<<${S//[^0-9]/ }
NEW="www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/"$num1

This requires no final suffix / in the URL.

Last edited:
No need to do it by hand. The key is the thread number. This very quick and dirty effort converts an old forum link to one that works now (If you can do it elegantly, probably with regex, please post) ---

Gerry may be overjoyed.

A single script that will globally sort the issue. :thanks:

Hi Seasink,
If I put that into .htaccess will it parse all the links without the 1.6million entry database table?

The Oops! page is actually a 404 error. I assume you want to correct those requests on the fly.

My scrap of code is three bash statements, which presents a small problem for the kind of .htaccess commands I have experience with (mainly about access, passwords and blacklists).

You could use it 'as is' in a loop to change a list of old URLs or as a utility with the variable URL set from the $1 argument. I could post that change for AF members with access to the shell that they could stick on the desktop.

For automatic conversion of requests by the web server, Options +FollowSymLinks can have a rewrite engine and simple rewrite rule - so that in one statement (probably a regex) a requested URL can be changed to the form needed.
At the moment my aging brain hasn't thought of a neat one line regex, but I suspect there is one.

Another approach might be SymLinksIfOwnerMatch to divert the request to a different index file written in php that has the convert code (in as many statements as needed) to change the request and then load it.

The host sysadmin might have some suggestions - this is possibly common in his game.

Some thoughts here: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us...ct-and-rewrite-my-URLs-with-an-htaccess-file-

Further thought over breakfast - the AF php script that sends old format links off to the green Oops 404 page gives a spot to add a translation to the new form and try that for validity, if an .htaccess method isn't available..

For those who can run a script, or can translate it to another form, this will convert an old forum URL as found by Google, into a format the new forum can understand and access. (Only the thread number is important):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Converts old Aussiefrogs URL (as 1st arg) to new forum URL
if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then  echo "Missing old AF forum URL argument"
else
  S="${1##*/}"    #filename from arg
  read num1 num2 num3 <<<${S//[^0-9]/ }  # thread number string
  echo "www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/"$num1
fi
exit

Last edited:
We are being penalised by Google for having broken links!
It doesn't matter though, we are all here & that's the important thing ;)

Thanks for helping here @seasink

A minor issue, but a number of people seem confused about where to type when replying to (and quoting) another post. They type above (instead of below) the [/QUOTE] tag. This makes it difficult to spot what is quoted and what is new reply.

I have noticed that the space provided below the quote is quite small - it might help if the default space below the tag were made bigger when the quoted text is dumped into the reply box.

Cheers
Alec

I don't know if this has been posted before but I did a search and couldn't find anything but what happened to the private message function?
I can't see a message function in the menu and my previous sent and received messages have disappeared.

Small envelope at top right. They are called Conversations. You can also start one from the sidebar avatar.