Porting

PugPower

Fellow Frogger
Hi

My name is Samer and Living in Sweden and this is the first time im in here =)
I own a 405 mi16 1990 model with cat.
And im planing to increase bhp =) but i havnt got a clue as to what would be best.

1-som head work and race kams ,any tips ? what power increase might i expect ?

2-buy a g-lader from a corrado G60 and instal it on the mi 16 engine .Any one have any help about this ?

How good is the gearbox on the mi16 good for ? 190-200 bhp? how about the original clutch and injectors... ??

I would really appreciate all the info and help i get..

Regards
/Samer

Welcome mr Samer,

Ther is a lot of info around on the mi16 engine that you want to modify.
The engine is good for about 200hp without going to the trouble of changing injectors
It will require hotter cams some headwork
I think the gearbox is good for about 270hp
if it is in good condition and looked after and not misused or abused.
I dont know what a g lader is it sounds like a beer so cant help u there.
If u go past say 200hp it will require a set of injectors.
Andreas has a hot 405 and has all the above work done and more.
I am sure he will chime in and help u.

Murat

Samer,

Andreas is changing his clutch so i would think u will need to change your clutch as well unless it is new then it might be ok for a little while.

Murat

Samer,

Andreas is changing his clutch so i would think u will need to change your clutch as well unless it is new then it might be ok for a little while.

Murat

well guys ,
I was at a mekanik today (friend) and he had an mi16 engine laying around at his workplace so i bought the head for 500kr = 50 us dollars including the cams.

From the way i see it it was a greaaaaaaat bargain =) i also know another older guy who has alot of experience with doing head work .. so hell do a good job for 350 dollars.

The cams ill have sent to another town (www.enem.se) were theyll redo them to race cams *i think* and they promissed me 15 bhp
for a price of 400 dollars

I dont plan to go pass 190bhp i htink itll be more then enough. compared to my 150 bhp.

what would u guys expect from the above ?? does doing all that still give an increase in bhp if i dont do anything to the ecu ?
will it affekt emission negativly?

Iv already got a k&n induction kit and a 2.5 inch exhuast system from cat. back. my clutch is 6 months old and the gearbox seems fine.

/Samer

ps. g-lader is a supercharger found in the VW corrado .

i'm guessing a g-lader is a type of supercharger.

Samer, i'm sure we've chatted before?
if you go ahead with the planned mods your ecu wont be able to cope, i assume when you say race cams they will be pretty wild.
i have rally cams in my mi16 and it had a very lumpy idle and emissions were baaaaaad!
it also drank petrol, the ecu will defintely need changing/modifying...IF the cams are wild.

if your injectors are anything like the Australian ones you will not get more than 196bhp out of them and as Murat mentioned the clutch wont last if it isnt in excellent condition.

apparently removing the cat will give the exhaust a deeper note and give you a bit more power.
if it's legal Sweden it might be worth considering.

i suggest you visit this site and have a bit of a read:
http://members.aol.com/pumaracing/pug16v.htm

and while you're there check out, unless you already have.
http://www.peugeot-sport-club.com

good luck with your project!

Andreas

HI Andreas

Yes weve chatted at the mi16 forum. =)

Well ill be doing the head jobb and the cams will be redone at this place,which according to them want affect MOT if combined with a good head jobb ..(if its race.. rally i havnt got a clue ) but he did say expect 15 bhp ??

So i really think its impossible to get more then 196 bhp from my currently 148 bhp by doing the above.

What do u think ??

I can get a fine upp too 1000 us dollars for removing the cat.. something which id rother not pay hehe .Although i had it of for about 6 months .... the engine seemed much morewilling to rev.

I want have the things installed before easster because winter is comming and that means i dont have any use of it when the roads are covered with snow..

Regards
Samer

G-lader is a supercharger from a Vw corrado G-60

.... but someone said ill end upp with 210 bhp and a blown engine so i cancelled my plans =(

The G-lader supercharger has a spiral impeller that not surprisingly looks 'G' shaped looking end on. It was in the Corrado as already mentioned, but was also in the Golf G60 and a smaller version was available in the Polo. From all accounts they were pretty torquey beasts ! Basically if you see a VW with a G in its model name, it's got one ! And I don't mean VolkswaGen.

Stuey

Samer, i remember now.
you're right you wont have more than 196bhp with those mods, 180bhp or so i would think.
i woudl still look into the g-lader if i was you, it shouldnt cost much more than what you're about to spend and seeing you have the same motor as we do it's got 9.5:1 compression ratio which shouldn't be a problem.
with the g-lader you will have alot more torque all the way through the rev range, with the head and cams you'll have alot more power....above 5000rpm and you'll probably lose a bit of torque down low dependign on what sort of cam it is.

as for the cat, $1000US isnt a large fine when compared to OZ where it can be utpo $130,000 (65,000US).
but i'd still leave it on just in case.
i've nevermet anyoen that's been caught though but i'm sure a few have???

Andreas

Andreas, well if i go for the G-lader then ill pass 200 bhp and ill need to reprogram the ecu and bigger injectors $$$$ and clutch and eventually a gearbox..

By the way the G-lader has to be renovated at 100,000 km according to VW (around 800
us $ )and the one for sale has done 130,000 km...

To get the 180 bhp it will cost me a total of 1200 Us dollars . much more if done at those expenssive places... ANd hopefully the clutch is good for 180 bhp and the gearbox will surviive. =)

SO U think 180 bhp including the K$N induction kitand cat back exhaust ??
By the way i really wouldnt like failing MOT emissions tests .... DO u think its very likely ??

How fast is ur 0-60 mph time ? should be quite good..

/Samer

havent been able to time a 0-60 yet, clutch didnt last long enough.

Andreas

I have a 1995 306 S16, the same as the later model Mi16 with 150hp. Mine dynoed at 164hp with exhaust, cone filter and optimax. I looked into getting some head mods done through a contractor to a local performance centre. He quoted me $770AUD for porting and flowing the head giving around 15% increase in power, taking it to about 189hp, and $550 for 8 new custom intake valves, 2mm bigger than standard. The valve seat inserts do not have to be replaced as they can be machined out quite a bit. He said all this should take the engine to about 210hp potential. However it seems likely new injectors would be needed to get over 200hp :-(

BTW I self timed a 0-100kph run at 8.2sec

[This message has been edited by Phasis (edited 01 October 2001).]

Do You guys think the original clutch and gearbox and the rest of the car will survive the head porting , cams,Kon filter, Exhuast??

By the way i want be doing anything to the ECU.. ill only be increasing the fuel pressure . Ill sill get the power increase right??
Will an after market chip (superchip) be a bad choice if used together with the above ?

Andreas what engine power have u got with all youre mods?

Hope U dont mind all the questions =)