poogoe 407 suspension wear

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

does anyone know what the "usual" bushes/ball joints are I need to check in the 407. Boss women tells me she randomly gets a shimmy at 100km/h (doesn't sound like wheel balance). It is also scrubbing the inside rear of the rear left tire. The car has now done' 190,000km and has never had the suspension touched. Its still very "tight" to drive and shows no signs of wandering or wear when I drive it.

I don't want to replace the tires until I've checked everything I can think of :)

seeya
Shane L.

The rear wheels have toe in adjustment. Have a look at the multi-links.

My 2009 407 also wears the rear inside tyres prematurely. I only got 30,000kms out of my last pair.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The rear multilink setup is also used on the C5. Citroen forums may help also.

Thanks all,

I whipped each wheel off .... There is hell of a lot of design gone into that suspension. The Citroen engineers would be tearing there hair out in horror if they saw it .... No ball joints, no lovely big lower arm bushes like the CX/GS (basically big rubber encased nylon bearings). Rather a horryfing number of shitty rubber bushes. Proper cars don't have bushes. My DS's have no rubber in the suspension at all ... the mighty CX ... rubber encased lower bush/bearings. This bloody car has more rubber bushings than my shitbox 4wd that was designed 40years ago ....

And the amazing bit is they are all tight as a drum. The only movement I could find was in the ..... er ... "panhard" links at the back (the bits that located the rear suspension from moving forward and back). This is because the pry bar could only push on them in a direction that where the loadings would never go ( it would need to be soft to allow the wheel to move up and down).

The rear can have the toe set via simple threaded tubes. So the thing just needs a set of tires (back to the age old issue of who the hell can balance the mongrel things) and a 4 wheel alignment.

I was very concerned about the brakes as they are still the original rotors. Get this ... the rear rotor are down 0.5mm ... (almost measure new) and the fronts are down 3mm. So below the minimum thickness. There is still so much meat left on the rotors I'm not going to worry about the fronts until the pads wear out.

A CX at 190,000km would probably have already had 3 sets of tieroad ends, two sets of lower arm bushes and 4 top ball joints. The shitty rubber bushes in this things seem "as new".

seeya,
Shane L.

There is indeed a hell of a lot of design in that suspension. The Citroen engineers in PSA had something to do with it. The bushes are essential because the llnks don't move in the same plane - hinge joints wouldn't work. There are many advantages to this, compared to trailing arms, though the maths are complex.

One aspect of the design is the simplicity of replacing the spring and shock absorber in the Peugeot with a hydraulic strut of similar dimensions The spheres get mounted on the hollow cross member.

Just about anyone can balance the wheel and tyre. The central hole is large enough.

There is indeed a hell of a lot of design in that suspension. The Citroen engineers in PSA had something to do with it. The bushes are essential because the llnks don't move in the same plane - hinge joints wouldn't work. There are many advantages to this, compared to trailing arms, though the maths are complex.

One aspect of the design is the simplicity of replacing the spring and shock absorber in the Peugeot with a hydraulic strut of similar dimensions The spheres get mounted on the hollow cross member.

Just about anyone can balance the wheel and tyre. The central hole is large enough.

The wheels don't have any center holes. They are an PITA!

Swap them for an alloy from a later model 407. I found the same issue with my son's 2005 2.2L petrol 407.

Yes, I'm investigating that possibility at the moment. Sadly most of the wheels seem to be 17" ... so the thing will ride even worse than it does now ... Oh well, at least I'll be able to balance them :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Is it possible one of the bushes had loaded up through rotation of the relevant arm/link and then movement of the bush and could be forcing one side slightly out of alignment?

Maybe loosen them all, and retighten with the appropriate load on the car.

Just a though that popped into my head. Carry on if you think it's BS. I'm just trying to think why it would start wearing one tyre.

The adjustment on the toe in link is separate for each side. There is no track rod to connect them.
It could also be a stuffed bush, but a wheel toe-in check would help.
peugeot.jpg

There is an animation of link action at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-link_suspension

Story about it at http://groupsevenpeugeot.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-link-derivation-and-brief-history.html

Last edited:
Hi Shane. I have always used Dale Butterworth at Truline in Latrobe Street, for wheel alignments, have been using him for the last 30 years.

My 1 owner '07 407 HDi manual had 220 Km when purchased 3.5 yrs ago. It soon developed a knock over rapid bumps which was cured by new sway bar links. After a while it started to behave a sit unusually on RH bends. A pommie mechanic diagnosed a worn bush which proved to be true and the car has been really good since. If interested I sent in a fairly comprehensive thread. Would love RHR + power in a 406 HDi.

My brother lives two blocks away for a wreckers.... and just for the hell of it I asked "do you have any poogoe 407s" .... and his answer was "yeah you can have the wheels for $350" .... So I whipped out and had a look.

The car is a black V6 ... very clean and tidy other than a little paint peal. The guy there said its very low milage, it ended up there as it has electrical issues. He's driven it around quite a bit and it'll throw pollution faults all the time ... and have no power to drive. But will reset if you turn it off and restart it. he said he has driven it home a few times and its absolutely fabulous out on the highway.... The previous owner got rid of it as they took it to the local poogoe dealer, who told them it was stuffed and couldn't be repaired :confused:

Anyway, they were still trying to fix it, and didn't want to wreck it. They'd check with the boss and get back to me. Anyway I rang them today and they said I could have the wheels and tyres (near new goodyears on it for $375 with 17" wheels and holes so they could be balanced).

So if your after parts for a poogoe 407 V6 ... with a very nice low milage gearbox and motor, try sebastopol motor wreckers in Ballarat. That should be the AM6 gearbox in that one.

seeya,
Shane L.