Pod Filter Position

Blakeynz

Fellow Frogger
Hi i was wondering if someone can inform me where i should install my pod filter - i have a 94 306xsi with a standard filter which is tiny!! I was thinking of bypassing the original filter and making a couple of left turns straight to the chamber. what do u think? will i lose power with this as i might have too much air for the amount of fuel in the car? any help would be most appreciated. also the pipe i need to fit the pod filter onto is 8'' is this standard? anyone know if they are pod filters to fit this circumfrence? cheers!

Save your money and send it back. I guarentee it will loose performance somewhere. Either bottom end torque from change in induction length, or top end kw, from change in air temp. Then again, you may have purchased it for the sound?

I had a custom pod filter installed in my S16. Basically the whole system was removed from before the final pipe which leads into the throttle body (mine has a oil vent pipe connecting into this part of the intake. From there, a metal tube was fabricated to lead down to the space infront of the LH wheel in the front guard. The horn had to be moved upward and a Kingdragon pod filter now sits touching the underside of the front guard, which has several large hole drilled into the soft plastic to allow air.

I did not notice any real difference in power, probably only 1-2kw, but there is a real sweet note there now which, for around $150 it was worth it.

I havent purchased it yet - and no i didnt think about it for the sound - i want better performance from my engine and i thought that would be the best place to begin. Why will a pod filter only give a minimal performance increase - if that indeed is what they are designed to do? Maybe it would be better to install an element filter where the original one is - what ya think? If using a pod filter or an element wont incress the performance of my engine - then what will - bearing in mind im wanting to start small and not have to mess around too much. Also on another issue why would my heater not be putting out any hot air? Ive checked the pipes and they are warm - also ive checked the water in the radiator and that too is fine. Im stumped! Any other help you can offer would be fantastic - thanks.

Blakeynz:
I havent purchased it yet - and no i didnt think about it for the sound - i want better performance from my engine and i thought that would be the best place to begin. Why will a pod filter only give a minimal performance increase - if that indeed is what they are designed to do? Maybe it would be better to install an element filter where the original one is - what ya think? If using a pod filter or an element wont incress the performance of my engine - then what will - bearing in mind im wanting to start small and not have to mess around too much. Also on another issue why would my heater not be putting out any hot air? Ive checked the pipes and they are warm - also ive checked the water in the radiator and that too is fine. Im stumped! Any other help you can offer would be fantastic - thanks.

don`t put a pod,just get a element u will be better off with the element,the pod will just put hot air in the motor and u will go down in kw,as if u get a k&n element and put it in the air box u will still have cold air and get more kw because the motor is getting cold air faster

why would i get hot air from installing a pod rather than an element? isnt the role of a pod to produce more cool air to the engine but with more surface area than the element filter?

a pod filter is exposed, inside the engine bay.
unless you use heatshields and duct cold air to it from outside the engine bay it's going to suck in the air from around the hot engine and radiator.

not that i can talk, my filters are sitting above the radiator. mallet

Andreas

The cold air i am getting at the moment is coming from infront of the radiator - so shouldnt be to warm at all. I was thinking of putting a coldair box around the filter. Has yours improved performance at all?

i dont have a pod filter as such, i've got a sock filter for each of my throttle bodies...only for a few more days then i'm changing it.

Andreas, you are doing what? Changing it. What are you changing it into? By the way, I pick up the Pug with the suspension sorted on Saturday. I'm told it is a lot better now. Sweet!

Cal.

Cal - what was wrong with your suspension?

I replaced my front shocks not long ago and it made a nice difference, not really in the road holding but in the feel on the road and sure-footedness it gave. I have a stut-brace to go on soon too.

I will be going up to Mt Glorious alomst every month from now on with ppl from work. You will have to come along and show them that my car isn't just a fluke mountain goat.