Peugoet engine swaps?

Darcy

Tadpole
I bought a Peugeot 504 for $150 that had been sitting for around 20 years, dragged it home took the head off to discover that one of the cylinders were completely rusted beyond repair. So I need to put an engine into it be it original or from another car, also what would the weight of the Peugeot engine be.

An engine lift is ideal. Too heavy and awkward to do without a lift. Experience talking here.

Some Hire Companies have them for hire. Be the way to go, if you have the replacement on hand. One out, one in. All done in a day or less depending on your knowledge of these things.

Cheers,

Dano

I don't know where in Qld you are, but there is someone Gumtree in Wynnum selling used engine crane for $150.00 and at least three others looking to rent theirs out, one guy want $50 for week and other $30 for 8 hours.

Facebook market place could be an other source.

I've got an engine crane and lift with me all I need is an engine to go in it

I've got an engine crane and lift with me all I need is an engine to go in it

The early 505 (gr/sr models) engine is a direct swap for a 504 engine. The early 505 had the XN push rod engines, very similar to the 504.

Later 505s had the douvrin ohc engines. These won't fit without a lot more more work.

Last edited:
I don’t know how you’ll go with anything that is longer than a 4 cylinder. 504/505 were designed for inline 4 and V6 engines.

There’s always the LS swap, or 2 versions of the Peugeot V6 (PRV or later ES)
Nissan SR20 has been done on here, you could do an Evo 4G63 with a 2.4L stroker kit.
Keeping it in the family, ew12 from a 407 would give you a 2.2L which could be turboed, or even a later EP6 1.6 engine, which peugeot have boosted up to 340hp in some versions.
How about a tesla electric conversion?

What gearbox would you use?

I almost forgot the honda K20/24. Apparently the K24 with a k20 head is a very good combo.