Peugeots at Caversham late 60s

Westair

Fellow Frogger
The photo below is of the ex Wally Higgs Sportcar powered by 1500 203 engine with crossflow head. Inlet ports were made and shaped with fibreglas and worked well. The car was later fittted with a 221 ci Falcon and then with Holden
179. The car has now been restored and last time I saw it at Wanneroo at a VSCC dau it was better than original. Photo is owner Bob Biltoft driving.
The 203, which I am driving, at this stage had 4 speed Moss box from Jag, Holden 192, Ford freighter diff on Ford custom axle housings. Originally had Peugeot box and special competetion diff imported from France-lasted about 6 laps.
Very quick car and one of Australia's first Sports Sedans.
When Wanneroo started the car had motor taken out and was dumped.
Years later we searched for it but it went into landfill in Osborne Park.
Simca on Caversham Staright 1963
Hope this stuff is not too far back for group.

Attachments

• Simca 6 hour small.jpg
    Simca 6 hour small.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Peugeot ex Higgs and 203 at Hairpin100k.jpg
    Peugeot ex Higgs and 203 at Hairpin100k.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 368
Not too far back for me - send more!!

Westair said:
The 203, which I am driving, at this stage had 4 speed Moss box from Jag, Holden 192, Ford freighter diff on Ford custom axle housings. Originally had Peugeot box and special competetion diff imported from France-lasted about 6 laps.
Very quick car and one of Australia's first Sports Sedans.
When Wanneroo started the car had motor taken out and was dumped.
Years later we searched for it but it went into landfill in Osborne Park.
Simca on Caversham Staright 1963
Hope this stuff is not too far back for group.

Good stuff - any more pics & tales?

Caversham pictures, more please!

Westair,
1963, that was the year the Cavvy track was resurfaced? The masking on the Simca P60 was necessary to avoid the blue metal stripping the paint, dulling the chrome and turning windscreens opaque. The Simca is wearing a perspex screen protector not only for this reason, laminated screens were to be compulsory so perspex protectors were permitted as an interim measure.
Westair, the Simca's number with its class letter "U". What class was this?
With the sedans letter "J" denoted Appendix J. The letter "K" was for modified or GT class.

The other pic with the ex Wally Higgs sports and yourself 203. Just look at those trees, those tyre markers and not forgetting the not so obvious off camber on the back sections of the track!! They really concentrated the mind. :eek: :eek:

Great stuff indeed.

Wildebeest said:
Westair,
1963, that was the year the Cavvy track was resurfaced? The masking on the Simca P60 was necessary to avoid the blue metal stripping the paint, dulling the chrome and turning windscreens opaque. The Simca is wearing a perspex screen protector not only for this reason, laminated screens were to be compulsory so perspex protectors were permitted as an interim measure.
Westair, the Simca's number with its class letter "U". What class was this?
With the sedans letter "J" denoted Appendix J. The letter "K" was for modified or GT class.

The other pic with the ex Wally Higgs sports and yourself 203. Just look at those trees, those tyre markers and not forgetting the not so obvious off camber on the back sections of the track!! They really concentrated the mind. :eek: :eek:

Great stuff indeed.

I went to watch the prologue to the Mt Buller Sprint yesterday. The fastest cars in the world with some of the best drivers but a non event as far as action was concerned. Only the 700HP HQ Monaro got the pulse racing, although Brett Middleton in the WRX was good to watch as always.
Everything was tied down so well in order to get quick times that the spectacle was missing. I would say that watching the 203 for 1 lap would give an equivalent amount of spectacle to the 1 and a half hours I watched yesteday! It gives me some more incentive to get my 203 on the road and out there in competition. This WON"T be a concourse car like so many others!
Graham

Caversham was resurfaced in 1962 for Australian Grand Prix.
It was debut of first Brabham F1 car and Bruce Mclaren also drove.

It was also the introduction to Minis and Bruce drove a Downton headed one brought in by Winterbottoms. It was unbelievable watching him throw it about.

I was lucky being on State Council of Cams and was an observer initially at the Ess's and was then moved progressivley around the track.

U was for unmodified just for the 6 Hour.
We normally ran Appendix J but the 6 hour had so many different cars they had special categories.

Peugeots & others at Caversham

Westair said:
U was for unmodified just for the 6 Hour.
We normally ran Appendix J but the 6 hour had so many different cars they had special categories.

Westair,
Have just been in touch with the elusive Wilyman. He was a bit mystified about the "U" for unmodified class for the 6 Hour Race.
"BLAST!" was his remark after perusing the result sheet of the '63 event.
"I was only 10 laps down on the Howard Motors Simca. If that was running in and winning the "U" class that would have placed our Simca, !st in the 1001 to 1300cc Appendix J class! Where's the money and big trophy?"
Hang on I reminded him, what about the cheque for lap money? It must have been an improvement on the 3 pounds 1 shilling you got in '62.

Sadly the old fella will now add these details to his never ending yarn. :clown:

Wildebeest said:
Westair,
Have just been in touch with the elusive Wilyman. He was a bit mystified about the "U" for unmodified class for the 6 Hour Race.
"BLAST!" was his remark after perusing the result sheet of the '63 event.
"I was only 10 laps down on the Howard Motors Simca. If that was running in and winning the "U" class that would have placed our Simca, !st in the 1001 to 1300cc Appendix J class! Where's the money and big trophy?"
Hang on I reminded him, what about the cheque for lap money? It must have been an improvement on the 3 pounds 1 shilling you got in '62.

Sadly the old fella will now add these details to his never ending yarn. :clown:
Howard Motors sponsored us for Six Hour by paying for fuel and a set of tyres,
Fremantle Brake Service supplied all new sintered metal linings -very new then-
but I can't remember how much the prize money was.
However Wentworth Motors, main Simca dealer, advertised our class win in The West Australian with a 2 column ad about 8-10 inches with our names and lots of congratulations etc etc. They had refused to help us and tried to stop Howard Motors helping us.
We told them that our names were published without permission and demanded an apology. They ended up paying us £120 which wasn't bad bickies in those days.

The car was on display in Howard Motors for about a week.
Later on Wentworths supplied me with a new Simca with modded head etc for State Gymkhana Championship at Caversham which I won.
Lost my copy of results, Could you scan a copy and e-mail,
. Something to show grandkids.

Westair :wink2: