Peugeot SOHC heads,1.4 TU3JP/KFW and 1.6 TU5JPNFU interchange?

Berridale

Fellow Frogger
Peugeot SOHC heads,1.4 TU3JP/KFW and 1.6 TU5JPNFU interchange?
Citroen berlingo 1.4 has a faulty head, gone soft from overheating.
Does the similiar 1.6 head from the early 206 fit on as i have one with no history of issue?
2mm difference in the bore.

I also note the later 206 has a 1.4 engine.

It appears cams are the same

Head gasket sets are different by compatibility lists so assume heads are different in some way

Timing belts differ
belts.png

Driven and Seasink,
There is a 2mm difference in bore and the stroke is longer hence the longer cam belt.

"Head gasket sets are different by compatibility lists so assume heads are different in some way".
My thoughts?
I can't see anything obvious.

There is the original head from a couple of years back when i bought it , snapped cam belt just after , no overheating issues.
Maybe i will just rebuild that head?

Hard to understand why they would make the heads different?

The belt widths differ. according to that manual. So would pulleys and tensioner.

Tu5jp4 (NFU) is the twin cam Tu motor.
Tu5jp (NFZ) is the single cam iron block motor.

Single cam TU motors only bend the exhaust valves. I would be getting 4 new exhaust valves and slapping it back together. You can put the valves into the guide and put the collet end into a drill and lap them in super easy.

James,
both engines/heads are single cam. they come in either 1.4 or 1.6.

The suggestion of new exhaust valves makes sense in the original 1.4 head that was never overheated.
The track into the farm in summer is hard work for the Berlingo as it is steep, it boiled regularly.

I just replaced my timing belt on my TU3JP Berlingo and it had 108 teeth.
There are two different water pumps on the 1.4 Berlingo's as well, 18 and 20 teeth; 18 with the 104 tooth belt and 20 with the 108.
Cam and crank sprockets have a different number of teeth with the different belts too.

"I just replaced my timing belt on my TU3JP Berlingo".
Why do they do this?

And the "same but different" 1.4 engine in later 206.

"I just replaced my timing belt on my TU3JP Berlingo".
Why do they do this?

And the "same but different" 1.4 engine in later 206.
If you take the top timing belt cover off, the 108 tooth belt uses a 42 tooth cam sprocket and the 104 tooth belt uses a 38 tooth cam sprocket. The 108 tooth belt also uses a manual tensioner and the 104 tooth belt an automatic one.

The part number of the Berlingo TU5JP4 head is 200 AZ and the gasket is 0291E, replaced by 9804548280. I don't have numbers for the 1.4, but there were several OPR changes.

I assume that different width belts implies different crank and cam wheels, apart from tooth differences. I don't have an engine to compare. Online head gasket compatibility charts don't list these two engines together.

Seasink,
sorry for the confusion , i can't change the title to the thread.
There are two engine in the 8 valve form with iron block, 1.4 and 1.6.
They appear identical , except for timing belt and cogs, 2mm bore /crank. Head gasket.

If the heads were the same it would save me some work.
Otherwise i can make one good one out of a pair of correct Berlingo 1.4.
One head seems to have softened from overheating and the other bent valves.

Hi Seasink,

The Berlingo 1.4 engine was boiled a few times and after re-surface was good for a while.

I have a head on a NFZ engine #9624920710 marked Z02, which is on a perfect 1.6 engine that looks identical.
2mm bore difference .
Both block iron and seem identical externally.
Does the part number mean anything as far as interchange?

The 1600 head has different combustion chamber diameter, so the area between cylinders for head gasket is too small for the 1.4 engine.
Otherwise except for valve sizes, camshaft and maybe the details ....