Peugeot RCZ

MarcusG116

Tadpole
Hi everybody
just thinking about when it eventually comes time to replace my 306 and thinking about a few different cars. Renault Megan RS 250, Alfa Giulietta QV and the Peugeot RCZ are the main three.

Can I ask people that own RCZ’s what they think or what to look out for. I know they stretch timing chains. How would you check for stretch without taking off timing chain case? How reliable are they? what goes wrong? Fuel economy? Servicing?

Thanks
Marcus

Hey mate, I've owned an RCZ for just over a year now. Surprisingly brilliant car to drive. Lots of grip, great brakes and the engine has a nice power curve. Interior is a nice place to be. The boot is ginormous for a two door coupe - I fitted two lawn mowers in mine the other day without even folding the seats down!

Fuel economy is fantastic. I get about 5.9 on the highway and between 6.8-7.2 around town, and that is not driving economically by any means.

The RCZ actually won Top Gear coupe of the year in 2010 (even though they hate Peugeot's in general).

I had to replace the thermostat housing (stupid plastic thing) and I believe my high pressure fuel pump may be in need of replacement shortly (to be confirmed this weekend). Both of these are unfortunate (and I don't believe ridiculously common).

If the tensioner / chain needs replacing it'll sound like a diesel on startup (when cold). From what I have read it's pretty uncommon on the 2011+ vehicles (no probs with mine).

791f5b825995b5927edc547fb56aa76b.jpg

Last edited:
The timing chain problem occurred wth early 1.6 THP engines, and most if not all will have been replaced by now. The same goes for failures in the thermostat housing. These parts were redesigned. Some early engines had a flaw develop in the high pressure pump metal.

There is no timing case as the chain is internal to the block and head. Being direct high pressure fuel injected, like all such engines, with mileage the inlet valves clag up and need cleaning.

Dont go the Alfa...........you will need shares in a mechanics workshop and boxes of Prozac. Been there done that [the Alfa that is }

Except it can actually go around a corner and you dont look like a dickhead driving it! And its cheaper and looks way better! Like a big Jaw eating the road...

I bought my RCZ as a demo in 2012 with 120km on the clock. 18km of those was on my test drive. It now has 112xxxks on it. Servicing from Peugeot is expensive. But as they are now out of warranty, you can take it some place good for a better price.

In the time I have had mine, I have had, 2 front high pressure fuel pumps, the fuel rail, and the thermostat replaced under warranty. The thermostat was then bypassed to fix the issue of it failing again. Otherwise that was it for new parts. However, about 2 years later, so now, I am getting fueling issues once more. So it looks like the Front HPFP/Fuel rail need to be changed again, possibly the rear fuel pump. Been quoted;
Front fuel pump: $ 1465.07
Rear fuel pump: $ 745.04
Fuel Rail: $ 572
From Peugeot.
EAI was $800 OEM or $1200+ for genuine. And did not get other prices as that is all they gave me when I called.
The tyres that are on the car are a weird sizing, you don't get a lot of choice if you stay stock, and the choice you have is expensive. I went the next size up and saved $400. However at full lock at slow speeds there is a slipping and banging from the tyres which gets annoying.
The engine does tend to use some oil. After 10,000ks it will be down a bit. So I do oil changes every 5,000ks now.
Around town I can get around 700km to a tank. So about 650ks before refueling. If I do a Canberra to Syndey trip I can get there and back without refueling. I use it to go to the snow quite often, and with the back seat dropped I can fit in a 181CM snowboard and a set of 175cms skis and all gear with plenty of room left over. It can happily transport a bicycle.
I find it a comfortable car to drive as it has quite a lot of adjustment in the seat and steering wheel. The visibility is good, once you learn to look through the tiny side windows, and where to place the car for corners. It is wide and you sit in a little bit. My elbow sits on the window ledge, so for car parks you have to get close to ticket machine, or else do the door open.

But in my 112xxxks and 6 years of owning it, I have loved it. It has only had an issue once when I needed it (was waiting for the HPFP to come in and be replaced under warranty). I have had it at a track day with a bunch of RX-8's which was very fun. Not found a better car to replace it with. Looking at keeping it for as long as it keeps going. All my friends rag me for owning a Pug, yet in the pug I can take corners better than a friends well worked STi.

Side note, if you want to Mod it, there is not a great deal of options available for you. But mine is stock (bar the next size up tyre) and is still dang fun.

The first time the HPFP and Fuel rail was changed was under warrant, so cost me $0. So Was happy with that.

The ECU was scanned for errors with Bill McNamee. It codes are very unhelpful so it is bit of a guessing game as to which of those 3 parts is borked.

So I got prices for all 3 of them. Does not mean that all of them will be done.

Can confirm, just replaced my HPFP at 70k. Seems to be a relatively common issue on direct injection engines unfortunately.

Yeah the hp fuel pump but never the rail the two pistons in the pumps start to seize also the regulation valves fail I have never done a rail