PEUGEOT multi-grips . . .

207cc Sport

Fellow Frogger
My brother gave me this recently. He had it a very long time and does not even remember when or where he got it.

Is it a PEUGEOT tool?

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

Yes they come in some of the tool kits I have a few spanners and screwdrivers now your lucky to get a jack

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Jean-Pierre and Jean-Frédéric Peugeot, brothers, had a tool works. Then they made some cars.

High quality Peugeot hand tools used to be available sometimes. I picked up a pamphlet for Peugeot screwdrivers once at a field days. The pamphlets were there but the tools were sold. The 203 tool kit included a pair of Peugeot branded multi grips as well as three spanners from 8 to 19mm, two screwdrivers, a sump plug spanner, spark plug spanner and that useful tommy bar that doubled up for use with the plug spanner and also fitted over the wheel stud to slide the wheel on. Plus of course a starting handle, jack and wheel brace that couldn't over tighten the wheel nuts but nor could it loosen tyre shop tightened nuts. Early cars had a sump plug spanner attached to a large spanner for the front hub bearing caps.

Last edited:
The purpose of a small tool kit was to allow the owner to do basic maintenance like changing the oil and plugs and to cope with problems that might arise on the road. A bad load of fuel and you might be stuck far from help but a quick clean of the gauze at the carby inlet and you'd be on your way. Assistance might not be easily available and it was expected that motorists should be able to do basic repairs. Trouble light socket but the lamp was an option. Tools designed by the maker are usually very well designed for the jobs on the car.

Imagine asking that of the drivers today

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Mid 1950's and a 203 competing in a Sun Rally had collided head on with a Volks in the Grampians. The 203 ambulance from Horsham turned up, Volks driver was stretchered in the back, Peugeot driver put in the passenger seat. After a while the ambulance stopped, driver got out and scratched his head. No radio. Peugeot driver got out, sized up the situation and cleaned the fuel gauze into the carby and they're on their way. The 1950's.

I remember a pair of multi-grips exactly the same as those that came in a small tool kit in my Dad's 403.

We were in Nairobi, Kenya at the time and Dad paid for the new car there (the agent was called Marshalls).

It would have been mid 1962.

The car was delivered to us new, at Heathrow airport when we arrived in London for a holiday a short while later.

We toured around England and then some 9 months later drove across the continent to Trieste in Eastern Italy.

I remember we stopped at Lake Maggiore for a few days.

The car, and ourselves , were loaded onto the Loyd Tristino ship "Europe".

We travelled back to Mombasa via Venice, Unloaded the car and drove up to Nairobi.

We brought the car with us to Perth in 1964 and it lasted very well.

I remember we only replaced the original battery after 9 years. (It was a Marshall!)

I think we traded it on a 404 later but don't remember the year.

Don't know what happened to the pliers - wish I still had them!

Cheers
Roland

:banana:

For years I've had a pair of multi-grips that are very, very similar to the Peugeot one shown in the photo. They were made by Dowidat, a German manufacturer of high quality tools, and sold in Aust from about mid '60s till around late '70s. For 8-10 years Dowidat had a factory in North Richmond NSW.

From time to time, they (Peugeot tools) pop up on EBay.fr (France) That’s where I found mine, plus a set of matching spanners.

Below is the latest offering.

Load the following into a eBay search bar. Buy now price is only 5 euro, bargain. It states ”May not be able to ship to Australia”, but I have found most will, if you ask directly.

Cheers

Dano

[FONT=&quot]
EBay item number:

[/FONT]

eBay item number 304047094245

c4f01f3f-64f2-4224-9164-a06696752bd1

Some years ago I bought a Citroen and a Peugeot on the same day.

I collected our 2nd hand Citroen XM from Continental Cars and later was at kitchenware heaven, Peter's of Kensington, where I bought a Peugeot pepper grinder - among other things. It's still going some 15 or 16 years later.

in the early 90s there were one or two tool shops on clarendon st. sth. melb. - the one on the south side (a bit like a JBhifi as i recall) had oddment bins where i once picked out assorted screwdrivers, new but loose. They have done all you could expect, and with lurid yellow handles I haven't lost many, but if they weren't stamped Peugeot they would be unremarkable ...

Now defunct Perth hardware shop "WA Salvage" had a range of Peugeot hand tools. I bought a hacksaw, unusual adjustment for blade tension with storage in the 'bow'. Assorted screwdrivers with embossed "Peugeot" plastic orange handles. A beautiful pair of pliers, chrome plated with orange plastic grips, the metal parts were engraved with Peugeot. These pliers are kept in my, not for loan kit!
I passed up on a nice set of wood chisels [I don't do wood]. They had wooden handles with steel ferrules. Should have bought them even if only for show.
Over the years I've picked up the odd Peugeot tool kit spanners, the ones with the odd jaw design. I've given these to friends with restored early Peugeot.

For some time I had been eyeing off a Peugeot coffee grinder at Cash Converters, they mustn't have wanted to sell it at the price asking.

Worth looking at the piles of ancient tools that sometimes turn up at clearing sales and the like. Peugeot wood planes, hand clippers, sheep shears, saw blades and saws were on sale in Australia from 1889. Rare but they were about. They made quite a range of hand tools. Some marked with an elephant, Peugeot and Jackson. Lion on the arrow was guaranteed first quality, moon second and hand third.

Another listing from France.
23.77 Euro starting bid.
EBay number 352601504644
The 5 Euro ones mentioned earlier today, have been snapped up.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Interesting mention of Dowidat. The German Dowidat brothers started a works called Gedore and I have a collection under both names. The prewar ones came from my father, while the newer ones were bought by me about 1963. The Dowidat multis are my favourite tool.