peugeot manifolds,etc.

Awfully good of you mate, but this is an mental indulgence, a dry run, a hypothetical, with no old car in my foreseeable future.
And much less a car i would muck with like this. Purist restorations must come first.
That said - if they’re not stupid ideas that won’t work for reasons obvious to most, I hope someone has a go …
( bless! you just haven’t been here long enough, everyone knows not to take me seriously )

Oooh thanks Greenpeace,my mazda1000 has two of these on as standard,handy to know as a couple of carby places I contacted a couple of years ago gave me the not interested not available response..jim
There's a guy selling pair of those pretty Bertone styled Mazda 1000 coupes in SA. A tidy one with a Mazda 2L and 5 speed fitted and an original (not so tidy) twin carb one.

Awfully good of you mate, but this is an mental indulgence, a dry run, a hypothetical, with no old car in my foreseeable future.
And much less a car i would muck with like this. Purist restorations must come first.
That said - if they’re not stupid ideas that won’t work for reasons obvious to most, I hope someone has a go …
( bless! you just haven’t been here long enough, everyone knows not to take me seriously )
🤣 I'm the opposite, I spend (waste?🤔) my time trying to make stupid ideas work.🤷‍♂️
Anyway the distributor most likely won't go anywhere, "it might come in handy one day".😉

talking Mazda i had a carb of a Mazda bongo van on my Renault 4 cv ,dont recall the brand but it bolted straight on .

talking Mazda i had a carb of a Mazda bongo van on my Renault 4 cv ,dont recall the brand but it bolted straight on .
Depending on the year, Bongos came out with both one and two barrel carburettors. The single barrel was a Nikki and the double barrel was a Hitachi.

Untitled.png
Untitled 3.png
Untitled 2.png

- not to reinvent the wheel, just get more out of fuel and do justice to a 4-2-1 exhaust, if one should occur.
In the dark as to exactly what Peugeot did but suspect gradual elimination of the trench/plenum to streamline mixture flow ?

that plenum box is similar to what you would find on a GS Citroen ,had a heater box under it heated by small Balance pipe from left to right hand cylinders ,they used to blow out ,i was mystified as to how i had an exhaust leak from under the carby ,until i did some poking around !PS i used some small welch plugs to block the exhaust tubes, problem solved , didn't get cold enough to be required ,where i was living

indeed, the inlet manifold from a GS; tubes fabricated and head ported for a more direct flow from carb to each valve respectively …

I've no idea if the factory Nissan claim is accurate or not? Nissan did supply engine dyno charts to road testers of the time indicating it made what they claimed it did.🤷‍♂️
I guess if we decided the 48 bhp claim for a 5 port iron head Morris 1100 is fair enough, then upgraded this engine to a 1200, added an 8 port alloy head, increased the compression ratio, added some cam timing, replaced the single small SU carb with a modern staged 2 barrel one and a freerer flowing exhaust manifold, what would a reasonable bhp estimate be?🤔
The A series Datsun engine is a development of the A series BMC engine after all.

I've had a repro carby and a genuine 120Y one apart at the same time, they both had the same 26/30mm butterflies and 20/26mm venturies.
I fitted one to an A15 Datsun motor in place of the emissions swamped original, it ran great. I've also fitted one to an aircooled 1300 Beetle and a 1200cc Corolla. I also had one on the supercharged Reliant, it ran fine driving normaliy, but couldnt supply enough fuel, quickly enough, if you nailed it down low. Roots blowers need a lot of fuel real fast at rapid full throttle application. I went with a large SU instead. I still have that Hitachi clone boxed up in the shed, I've been thinking about fitting it on the Suzuki Carry van.
This is the 2 piece split adaptor for the blower. I had to do it this way as the blower stud pattern clashed with the carby one. The bottom plate bolts to the blower, the carby studs go through both plates. Doing it this way provided a nice flat plate for the carb to sit on without any countersunk bolts interfering with carburettor gasket's sealing surface
The Hitachi stud pattern is 62 x 35 mm and uses 6mm studs.

View attachment 221019

Development of the A40 engine which was the forerunner to the B series. Too big to be an A series.

Development of the A40 engine which was the forerunner to the B series. Too big to be an A series.
The C, E and J series Nissan engines were BMC B series based. The A series Nissan engine is A series BMC based. A Mini rocker cover will sit neatly on an A series Nissan head, a B series won't. The first Nissan A series the A10 even ran a 3 bearing crank, naturally they quickly improved the design to 5 bearing in their subsequent upgrades.

20230524_224521.jpg
20230524_224458.jpg

Mini cover looks way smaller, have to check some time. I actually think that Datsun made their own version of the A series starting with the Austin A 40 unit that they were making under licence.

Mini cover looks way smaller, have to check some time. I actually think that Datsun made their own version of the A series starting with the Austin A 40 unit that they were making under licence.
The A40 Devon engine and the B series that it morphed into are much bigger and heavier engines than both the BMC and Nissan A series.
People don't do MGB into Morris Minor engine swaps for a reason, they don't fit, unless you completely re-engineer the car.
As we all know, there are currently more Morris Minors with Datsun engines in them than the original A series engines because they are an easy fit.

A BMC B series engine complete weighs 182 KG.
A Morris Minor A series engine complete weighs 108 kg.
An A12 Datsun engine complete weighs 87 kg.
I could see how Nissan could reduce the weight of the BMC A series down around 20% by changing the head and water pump to alloy etc.
But to reduce the engine weight of a BMC B series by over 50%?
The original Datsun A engine was a compact unit, to accommodate the increase in capacity from the original A10 to the A12 they had to raise the block deck height by 10mm. When the wanted to make the A12 bigger (ie the A13, A14 and A15 versions) they raised the deck height by a further 15mm.
A40 and B series engine blocks are deep skirted designs.
The BMC and Nissan A series are both short skirt blocks.