Peugeot key fob not unlocking car

Lauren Hill

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi all,

Recently my key fob for my Peugeot 308 2009 model hasn't been unlocking or locking my car we have changed the battery over in the key and it is still causing issues the key will start the engine but even when inserted into the door won't lock or unlock the car. I have looked at 5 different forums and in the manual but everything that has been suggested hasn't worked it is also my only key as the spare has been broken if anyone could offer some advice it would be appreciated.

If you open the key case and look at the board you will see there will be a microswitch mounted under each 'button' on the case. Sometimes the switch itself will fail, but the soldered joints can also break after years of use. You can buy replacement switches if necessary, but it is a fiddly job. This is worth checking.

If you open the key case and look at the board you will see there will be a microswitch mounted under each 'button' on the case. Sometimes the switch itself will fail, but the soldered joints can also break after years of use. You can buy replacement switches if necessary, but it is a fiddly job. This is worth checking.
But if the key inserted in the door won't lock or unlock the car could this be a faulty solenoid in the door locking mechanism?

Yes, very good point shibuichi. Poor comprehension on my part! Check fuses firstly.

Hi all,

Recently my key fob for my Peugeot 308 2009 model hasn't been unlocking or locking my car we have changed the battery over in the key and it is still causing issues the key will start the engine but even when inserted into the door won't lock or unlock the car. I have looked at 5 different forums and in the manual but everything that has been suggested hasn't worked it is also my only key as the spare has been broken if anyone could offer some advice it would be appreciated.
Did the door lock ever lock/unlock the (entire) car? To my knowledge (not strictly a Peugeot guy...Citroen) the door lock is purely an emergency mechanical lock/unlock for the drivers door only (no central locking from the door).
Does the door lock button on the dash work? If not, might be fuse as shibuichi says.
I take it that you tried the "re-synchronizing keys" section of the manual? Tried it a couple of times? It's tedious but stick with it.

the key will start the engine but even when inserted into the door won't lock or unlock the car
Hi Lauren,
Looks like it's a freezing cold night in Dudley Birmingham, or are you in Lake Macquarie?
Can you provide the first 9 characters of your VIN? It'll help work out which wiring diagram applies to your 308.
If you are able to turn the key in the drivers' door lock but nothing happens, then my assumption is that the BSI fuse supplying power to the door lock is blown.

Thank you I've had a look in my local garage and even they seemed confused as to why the key wouldn't work as there is no issue with the locking system

Did you have a look at the battery you put in the fob and ensure it didn't have the safety sticker on one side ?
They put a warning sticker on the battery that you need to peel off

... but not Newcastle UK. IP address suggests UK. This could be like booking a flight to Sydney and finding yourself in Nova Scotia!