peugeot 607. Any good?

Hi all

Just thought I would revive this thread as I may be interested in upgrading my partner's car (a 1981 Mercedes-Benz 280E) to a Peugeot 607. I am looking at series 2 (ideally with under 150,000 kms) and thought this would be a good car with some relatively modern safety and individuality and reliability. They are on the market at under $10,000 which is a lot of car for the money. Many thanks.

Syd

Hi all

Just thought I would revive this thread as I may be interested in upgrading my partner's car (a 1981 Mercedes-Benz 280E) to a Peugeot 607. I am looking at series 2 (ideally with under 150,000 kms) and thought this would be a good car with some relatively modern safety and individuality and reliability. They are on the market at under $10,000 which is a lot of car for the money. Many thanks.

Syd

Pssst ..... I see a Citroen C6 in you future :evil: :dance: :dance:

Hi all

Syd

I have Z9 (607 phase II) as well. It's a dependable car and I am glad to have one.

The 6-speed AM6 auto gearbox is good, but I am Converting mine to manual though (I simply prefer manual on that V6 Engine, not because the gearbox is faulty).

Mine is 2007 model and mileage is about 76,000 km. I have done some repairs on the car but nothing major (usual wear & tear).

Series II 607 (Z9) has short comings just like every other car. For example, the ES v6 starter is not durable (I have replaced mine). The window mechanisms don't like to be operated all the time (you won't have issues with them if you use AC often). The VVT solenoids on the V6 Engine (ES9A) tends to leak oil (can easily be replaced). The Cylinder Head covers tend to leak oil too after thousands of km mileage ( you can use quality RTV gasket maker to reseal them and stop the leak). The JBL sound quality in the phase II 607 is not as good as the phase 1 607 and 406 D9, but you can manage it or you swap in the D9 406 or series 1 607 (Z8) JBL amplifier in the Z9 607 and it will start giving you the 406 JBL sound quality. The AM6 auto gearbox is good, but can decide not to downshift immediately sometimes if you decide to floor it, but it's not a big deal if you prefer to accelerate gently all the time. My personal observation, the AM6 performs or responds quicker and better in 607 than 407.

The car has a lot of good or positive sides that will fill this entire page if I start mentioning them. Except, people usually want to know about the negative side of Vehicles they are interested in to buy than the positives. Now you know them (there could be few I am not remembering now, but nothing major). Every car has its negatives. Not expecting one or claiming one doesn't have is being naive or lying to yourself.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

Last edited:
I have Z9 (607 phase II) as well. It's a dependable car and I am glad to have one.

The 6-speed AM6 auto gearbox is good, but I am Converting mine to manual though (I simply prefer manual on that V6 Engine, not because the gearbox is faulty).

Mine is 2007 model and mileage is about 75,000 km. I have done some repairs on the car but nothing major (usual wear & tear).

Series II 607 (Z9) has short comings just like every other car. For example, the ES v6 starter is not durable (I have replaced mine). The window mechanisms don't like to be operated all the time (you won't have issues with them if you use AC often). The VVT solenoids on the V6 Engine (ES9A) tends to leak oil (can easily be replaced). The Cylinder Head covers tend to leak oil too after thousands of km mileage ( you can use quality RTV gasket maker to reseal them and stop the leak). The JBL sound quality in the phase II 607 is not as good as the phase 1 607 and 406 D9, but you can manage it or you swap in the D9 406 or series 1 607 (Z8) JBL amplifier in the Z9 607 and it will start giving you the 406 JBL sound quality. The AM6 auto gearbox is good, but can decide not to downshift immediately sometimes if you decide to floor it, but it's not a big deal if you prefer to accelerate gently all the time. My personal observation, the AM6 performs or responds quicker and better in 607 than 407.

The car has a lot of good or positive sides that will fill this entire page if I start mentioning them. Except, people usually want to know about the negative side of Vehicles they are interested in to buy than the positives. Now you know them (there could be few I am not remembering now, but nothing major). Every car has its negatives. Not expecting one or claiming one doesn't have is being naive or lying to yourself.

Thank you Ikenna351. In Australia, the value for money for a Peugeot 607 is pretty good. The concern would be the parts availability and long term reliability. I will keep an eye out for the issues you have raised in the hope of minimising the risk of a potential purchase.

Kind regards

Syd

There's 4 on Carsales, and 3 have the 6-speed boite vitesse. Of the 3, two are in Victoria, so it looks like a lay down misere!

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/peugeot/607/

Of course the major concern is that neither mentions whether timing belt has been done - only the possibly overpriced Qld car mentions that the belt has been done (but not when). Then again, as the Qld ad also mentions recent servicing, new plugs, new tyres etc., perhaps it is the bargain!

Nothing to see on Gumtree or Drive...
[/FONT]

Two phase 2 (6sp. Auto) recently sold in Melbourne. I bought one!

There is new ad.on Gumtree (NSW) and two more on Autotrader (phase 1)

Attachments

• DSCN2256-.jpg
    DSCN2256-.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 135
Don't touch them. They're a dealer-service only car due to all the computers/multiplex wiring and they are responsible for turning me off French vehicles. I've never experienced such an unreliable car - despite the supple ride and silky smooth 'box, the amazing seats, appealing dash layout and little extras (electric rear sun blind, motorised boot and even electrically adjustable headrests) it isn't worth it.
It was booked in fortnightly to the dealer for stupid things like window regulators, coil packs, faulty battery x 2 (yet my 406 coupe with 170kms on the clock still has the original packs). This one had 50,000kms on it.
The 605 I owned was literally problem free in all its years, but the 607 sent me first to a Skoda (great car), a MINI (might as well have kept the 607), and now a Volvo xc70 (which is absolutely brilliant).
Try and find yourself another Swede. Never been happier myself.

My series II 607 V6 has never given me any battery issue, which you claimed it's an issue on that 607 model.

Yes, the window regulators do fail (not as durable like that of 406). But if you drive with AC constantly like I do, you hardly have need to operate them, yet alone experience the failure of one.

Their ignition coils don't necessarily fail like you claimed, even the Sagem. A simple misfire will report a faulty ignition coil. Flushing fuel injectors usually clears the fault 95% of the time.

Ever since I converted mine to Stick-Shift, I am becoming madly in love with the car.

Might yet look at the 607.

The volvo was written off today. Owned it about 14 hours. Perhaps I am not supposed to go back to Swedish bricks.
Swedish brick, you have got to be joking, an R design Volvo will trail dust into any Peugeot