Peugeot 508. Is the current model worth buying?

R17G

Fellow Frogger
So I am considering a new(ish) car and would like a sedan/wagon which is a bit of a challenge these days. I love my Renaults but they no longer sell a sedan/wagon in Australia. And a Trophy hatch is out of my price range. I see the current 508 can be had second hand for around the $40k point. They look lovely. Are they worth outlaying that sort of money? Are they reliable? Anything to be concerned about? Appreciate any thoughts.

If you find a 2.0 L HDI diesel model, you won't go wrong. Economical, powerful and very reliable. They are not currently sold.

Current shape 508 will be within the 5 year unlimited km warranty, so not much to worry about for now. They are all 1.6 turbo petrol. You have to go back to the previous shape to find a diesel model and then you have a choice of 2.0HDi, 2.2HDi and 1.6lt petrol. You might drive a bargain buy on a 3008 Allure 1.6 petrol for a fraction more.

FYI https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-peugeot-508-wagon-phev-due-by-july/

Note mention that the current model is being face lifted - not sure when it’s available and what that will do to second hand prices.

I did look at the 508 but preferred the 308SW T9 mainly because diesel wasn’t available in the 508 but also thought the 308 represented far better value.

I also wondered at the time if that price difference would also translate into the cost of parts and upkeep as well.

Don’t know if it still applies but my old Peugeot mechanic had warned me off Peugeot petrol engines.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it might have to stay in the look but don't touch category. I might have a look at the 308 T9 SW. I like the look of the new one, but over $50K! The only issue I would have with the diesel is that I don't really do enough km. I assume that the dpf might be a problem in that regard.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it might have to stay in the look but don't touch category. I might have a look at the 308 T9 SW. I like the look of the new one, but over $50K! The only issue I would have with the diesel is that I don't really do enough km. I assume that the dpf might be a problem in that regard.
Just be aware ep6 engines also are affected by short running and in town dawdling.

Thanks Driven for posting the link to car reviews - a great valuable resource.

Sorry R17G but buying a new 308SW you are getting an underpowered 1.2l 3 cylinder petrol engine in a $50,000 car doesn’t sound like good value to me. $70 - $80,000 for the hybrid makes even less so.

I did have problems with my 405 diesel if it spent too much time in the city but haven’t had that with the 308. With the 308 when i have a long city stay I do thrash it up a steep hill occasionally to avoid clogging the EGR valve again and do an occasional run on a motorway to get the dpf warmed up.

I think you will find the new Peugeot petrols have a dpf too.

If I was you I would hang out for the last of the 308 T9 diesels (rarely see them for sale) for about half the price of a new one.

Thanks for the advice. I agree about the new 308, way too expensive. No way I would consider one at that sort of money.

Good point about the ppf on new euro petrol cars, I had forgotten about that. Perhaps time for a Subaru or Mazda.

So I am considering a new(ish) car and would like a sedan/wagon which is a bit of a challenge these days. I love my Renaults but they no longer sell a sedan/wagon in Australia. And a Trophy hatch is out of my price range. I see the current 508 can be had second hand for around the $40k point. They look lovely. Are they worth outlaying that sort of money? Are they reliable? Anything to be concerned about? Appreciate any thoughts.
I can see why you are disappointed with the Renault line up of new cars, unless you are an SUV fan or the cash for a Renault Sport there is nothing there.

The current 508 is a great car. I've been waiting for one to come on the market at the right price, hasn't happened yet. I like the 1.6 turbo petrol engine, have it in my T9 308 and not had any issues.

I can see why you are disappointed with the Renault line up of new cars, unless you are an SUV fan or the cash for a Renault Sport there is nothing there.

Very true! I am disappointed with the current Renault range in Australia. Perhaps I will just keep what I have.

And good to hear someone is happy with the 1.6T.

i have one from new 2018 diesel wagon best pug i have owned even better than my 406 diesel wagon but its got 450000 ks still go good

Thanks Driven for posting the link to car reviews - a great valuable resource.

Sorry R17G but buying a new 308SW you are getting an underpowered 1.2l 3 cylinder petrol engine in a $50,000 car doesn’t sound like good value to me. $70 - $80,000 for the hybrid makes even less so.

I did have problems with my 405 diesel if it spent too much time in the city but haven’t had that with the 308. With the 308 when i have a long city stay I do thrash it up a steep hill occasionally to avoid clogging the EGR valve again and do an occasional run on a motorway to get the dpf warmed up.

I think you will find the new Peugeot petrols have a dpf too.

If I was you I would hang out for the last of the 308 T9 diesels (rarely see them for sale) for about half the price of a new one.
The reason we bought a 2018 308 T9 HDi touring. Two previous T7 HDi Tourings had served us well so it made sense to lookout for a T9 when they became available. Not many later ones around though - quite a few up to 2015 available. We also waited for a low km model to become available. We still have warranty until Oct '23.

Cheers

Justin

My beautiful 508 is about to come on the market, if you're interested, talk to me. Still has 2 years warranty. My wife won't drive it because it has too many gadgets and sticks on the steering wheel are on the wrong side.

Thanks John, just a tad too early for me. And while I have bought a car from Victoria before, I am not sure I would be keen on a big road trip at the moment. If you end up posting in the for sale section here, I will definitely have a look.

May post it for sale one day soon. Can't think of a nicer more relaxed and comfortable way to get from Ballarat to the Gold Coast